Mom’s Tomato Sauce
Yields 4 to 5 cups
- 12 plum tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small onion minced
- ½ cup water
- 1 cup fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Peel, core, and dice the tomatoes. To peel tomatoes, immerse them in boiling water for 20 to 30 seconds and then dip them in cool water. The peels will slip off.
- n a large saucepan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic and onion until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes, water, basil leaves, parsley, salt, and pepper. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat, simmering uncovered for 45 minutes and stirring occasionally to make sure the tomatoes are well mixed. If you prefer a smooth sauce, allow the sauce to cool and then blend in a food processor.
- Refrigerate the leftover sauce for up to 5 days or freeze until needed.