Medication for Type 2 Diabetes (T2D)
Which medication is best for you?
Your diabetes care team will decide which medication is right for you. It depends on:
- Your lifestyle
- Physical condition
- How you respond to the medicine
- Insurance coverage
Cost saving tips for your diabetes medications
- Ask your provider to prescribe your medication in a generic form if available. Many medications used to control diabetes are NOT available in generic form.
- Check with your insurance company to see if there is a similar medication with a lower co-pay. We try to prescribe a medication that is covered by your insurance but sometimes we don’t know what your insurance covers, and they will not discuss it with us. They will only discuss your policy with you.
- Ask your provider if there is a coupon to help lower the copay for the prescribed medication. Unfortunately, with Medicare or Medicaid, you cannot use a coupon.
- If using an insulin pen, check with your insurance company to see if it is less expensive to use vials and syringes. If so, you may want to consider that option.
- Many pharmaceutical companies offer Prescription istance Programs that you may qualify for. If interested, we can assist you to obtain the necessary application forms.