Medication to Treat Type 2 Diabetes
The first way to prevent and treat type 2 diabetes is with meal planning, weight management, and exercise. If that doesn't bring your A1c into a healthy range, the next step is to prescribe medication.
Which medication is best for you?
Your diabetes care team will determine which medication is best for you. It depends on:
- Physical condition
- How you respond to the medicine
- Insurance coverage
Cost saving tips for your diabetes medications
- Ask your physician if your prescription is available in generic form.
- Check with your insurance company to see if there is a similar medication with a lower copay. We always try to prescribe medication that is covered by your insurance. Sometimes we don’t know what your insurance covers, and they will not discuss it with us. They will only discuss your policy coverage with you.
- Ask your physician if there is a coupon available to help lower the copay for your prescribed medication.
- If using an insulin pen, check with your insurance company to see if it is less expensive to use vials and syringes. If so, you may want to consider that option.
- Many pharmaceutical companies offer Prescription Assistance Programs that you may qualify for. If interested, we can assist you to obtain the necessary application forms.