Every year, the student body at UMass has the opportunity to elect a student trustee from UMass Worcester to the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees. This student is the sole student representative from UMass Worcester and holds a very important position. Of the five University of Massachusetts student trustees, three are voting members at any one time, on a rotating basis.
The only distinction between the voting student trustee and other board members is the abbreviated term in office of the student. The student trustee’s term of office runs from July 1 to June 30. Elections for the student trustee are held in April. All students are eligible to be on the ballot.
The student trustee is expected to
(1) keep the students and the SBC informed of discussions and the decisions made by the Board of Trustees;
(2) provide a UMass Worcester student’s perspective to the board;
(3) review tenure and faculty advancement within the University system;
(4) review the allocation of funds throughout the University system;
(5) assist in the selection of honorary degrees;
(6) review the Hospital Management Board meetings; and
(7) work with the chancellor on selected projects
The position offers a student the opportunity to contribute to the decision-making process that affects students on the Amherst, Boston, Dartmouth and Lowell campuses, as well as students here in Worcester.
Applicability: All enrolled students
Date Revised: June 2014