(US, Canada, Puerto Rico)
Thank you for your interest in the University of Massachusetts Medical School and/or our affiliated hospitals. We invite fourth year medical students attending Allopathic (LCME) and Osteopathic (COCA) accredited medical schools in the USA, Canada and Puerto Rico to apply for our wide range of electives.
Applying for a UMass elective
- Applications for all UMass electives must be made through VSAS, the AAMC's online Visiting Student Application Service. Our institution name is "Univ Massachusetts Med School"
UMass electives are offered in four-week blocks of time.
- A maximum of 2 four-week electives (8 weeks) are allowed per student each academic year.
Available UMass electives can be found on VSAS. Specific elective descriptions can be found in the left navigation bar under Advanced Studies Elective List but this list is strictly informational and cannot be used to apply for electives.
Elective dates are posted on the VSAS website. Our elective calendar is located on the left navigation bar under Advanced Studies Elective Calendars for informational purposes.
Home School verification of the student’s statements of Good Standing, HIPAA & OSHA Training, BLS Training, Personal Health Insurance, Malpractice/Liability insurance limits and Passing of Step 1 or COMLEX Level 1 is required. Malpractice/Liability Insurance minimums are $1 million per occurrence / $3 million aggregate.
UMass will begin accepting VSAS applications from visiting students on March 1st. and will begin reviewing them on April 1st.
All VSAS applications are considered in the order in which the completed application was received.
Completed VSAS applications must be submitted at least eight weeks prior the start date of the requested elective.
A $65 non-refundable administrative fee is assessed for each accepted elective in VSAS within ten  days of the elective being accepted. Payment should be made payable to 'UMMS Electives' and must be in the form of a check or money order. Please remit payment to: UMMS, Office of Student Affairs, S1-131, 55 Lake Ave North, Worcester, MA 01655; Attn: Janice Robert.
Elective applications must be processed through VSAS and the UMMS Office of Student Affairs in order to receive credit.
Application includes the following supporting documentation be uploaded to VSAS:
- Official Transcript
- A completed AAMC Standardized Immunization Form (available on VSAS), including lab reports documenting proof of immunity to Measles, Mumps, Rubella, Varicella/Chicken Pox and Hepatitis B. Student should also include an updated TST Mantoux Tuberculin skin test (TST) within 6 month of elective end date or in place of the TST students can included an updated TB Blood test such as QuantiFERON Gold or T-SPOT test within 1 year of elective end date. Additional requirements are on our immunization form and our VSAS institutional page.
- Signed Blood-Borne Pathogen (BBP) Infection Policy Statement Form (Attached to UMMS Immunization form on VSAS).
- MD students are required to upload Step 1 scores for Anesthesiology, Emergency Medicine (EM) and Pediatrics electives.
- DO students are required to upload either Step 1 or Level 1 COMLEX scores for EM and Pediatrics electives. Both Step 1 and Level 1 COMLEX scores must be uploaded for Anesthesiology electives.
- Students requesting Family Health Center Based Sub-I (FC-423) or Family Medicine Office Sub I (FC-450) must fill out a Student Info & History form and upload it to VSAS. The forms can be download from UMMS Family Medicine Elective Descriptions on our website. Please download the form associate with each elective description.
- Any student who is interested in applying for an elective at St. Vincent's Hospital is required to have a Urine Drug Screening completed at their home institution. This screening must be uploaded to VSAS and sent to Donna Davisson.
Upload the UMMS immunization form, all lab reports, the signed Blood Borne Pathogen statement and an any other supporting documentation to VSAS.
If your application IS APPROVED:
Approved students will be notified by email through VSAS. Elective offer emails contain information and instructions on the elective dates, location and who to report to.
The offer will be valid for five (5) business days.
Students will be required to 'accept' the offer on VSAS before the deadline expires.
If your application IS NOT APPROVED:
We make every effort to accommodate elective requests, however there are occasions when applications cannot be honored. If your elective was not approved, you will be notified by e-mail with an explanation of why your request could not be fulfilled.
Dropping an approved elective / Not reporting for an approved elective
The policy of the University of Massachusetts is to provide 8 weeks advanced notice if a student is unable to take an approved elective. The student should email the elective coordinator and Student Affairs
noting the reason the student is requesting to drop the elective. Failure to do so may result in the student's Dean being notified.
UMMS does not provide housing; however, we often have information on available sublets. For information on possible sublets, e-mail Student Affairs
. Please note, UMMS does not endorse or verify information on sublets, this information is provided only as a courtesy.
Parking & Picture ID Badges
Students accepted for electives at the University Campus will be required to obtain a UMMS Picture ID Badge from the Parking and Access Control Department. The cost is $10.
Parking on the University Campus is coordinated by the Parking and Access Control Department. The cost is $8.00/week, payable in advance by cash or check. Visiting students are assigned parking at the Plantation Street Parking garage, about 1/4 mile from the campus. There is a free shuttle that runs from the garage to the campus approximately every 10 minutes, but many students enjoy the short minute walk. The shuttle runs weekdays from 5:30 a.m. to 9p.m.
For specific information on parking and ID Badges at our affiliated sites, please check with your elective coordinator at that site. Additional information about parking and ID badges at our affiliated sites can also be found in the Visiting Student Orientation Book located in the right hand navigation bar.