Patient Rights Under HIPAA
In addition to information concerning the HIPAA Privacy, Confidentiality of Patient-Related Information and Security Regulations found in this Handbook, students must read and be familiar with UMass Memorial’s Joint Notice of Information Practices brochure distributed to all patients at the time of their first clinical visit, students must also read and be familiar with the privacy notices of all other clinical sites visited for clinical experience. A copy is available at all UMass Memorial locations where patients receive treatment or through the Privacy Office at PrivacyandSecurity@umassmemorial.org.
HIPAA requires that written notice be presented to patients to inform them, among other things, of their privacy rights and to make them aware of how UMass Memorial and other clinical sites can use and disclose their protected health information. It also includes a point of contact for answering questions or receiving complaints.
Patient rights afforded by HIPAA include:
- Right to Access (inspect/copy) Designated Record Set.
- Right to Request an Amendment of information in the Designated Record Set.
- Right to Request an Accounting of Disclosures of Protected Health Information.
- Right to File a Complaint regarding alleged Privacy Violations.
- Right to Request Restrictions on Uses and Disclosures of Protected Health Information.
- Right to Confidential Communications.
- Right to Receive the Joint Notice of Information Practices.
- Right to Revoke Authorizations for the disclosure of Protected Health Information.