• students
  • students
  • students
  • students

Student Highlights

Congratulations Class of 2016!

This year, 120 students went through the NRMP Match, one student matched through the military match and 4 matched in early specialty matches. On behalf of the Office of Student Affairs, we would like to extend our congratulations to all of our terrific students, as they move forward to the next stage of their careers!

UMass grads remain wonderfully diverse in their choices of specialties:

  • 36 are entering Internal Medicine/Primary Care, a record high for our university!
  • 14 students are entering Pediatrics
  • 12 students matched in Family Medicine
  • 7 students are entering Medicine/Pediatrics
  • 18 students in the Class of 2016 (15%) are going in to surgical specialties, including 7 who are entering General Surgery
  • 5 students matched in OB/GYN, and
  • 7 students will be entering Emergency Medicine!

In addition, students will be entering residency programs in Anesthesiology, Dermatology, Diagnostic Radiology, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology, Orthopedic Surgery, Pathology, Physical Medicine & Rehab, Plastic Surgery, Psychiatry, Urology, and Vascular Surgery!

True to our primary care mission, 58% of students are entering fields of primary care – 62% if you count OB!

Fulfilling the university’s commitment to train physicians for the Commonwealth, more than half of this year’s graduates (66 students) are doing at least a portion, if not all of their training, in Massachusetts (55%).  Among those 66, 24 students are staying here at UMass Medical School! For the other 45%, we are continuing to grow in our diversity of places where UMass Medical School graduates are known - certainly among the northeast, but also across the country to our friends on the west coast as well as Midwest and south regions. 

We are so very proud of the Class of 2016. They have accomplished so much during their time here at UMass Medical School and we are excited to see them enter their residencies as the next generation of outstanding leaders in health care.

If you have a student highlight that you would like to share, do so here.

Latest News

Welcome Message

Chimienti imageWelcome to the University of Massachusetts Medical School, and to the Office of Student Affairs!  We are delighted to share this incredible journey with you, providing you with a supportive learning environment and guiding you through your years of medical training. Our team works in partnership with your Learning Communities Mentors and the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education to ensure that you receive the academic and personal support that you need in order to meet your educational goals, and to holistically support your professional development as a physician.

Our office coordinates many events that will be memorable milestones in your career development, including the White Coat Ceremony, the Second Year Oath Ceremony, and of course, Match Day and Graduation! Along the way to each of these events, we are here to assist you with planning your pre-clinical electives, Core Clinical Experiences, Advanced Studies electives both at home and away, transitional experiences throughout your training, and individualized career pathways, including 5th Year Options, and if needed, leaves of absence.  Your well-being and career balance are of paramount importance to our team; as such, we are committed to working with you to support you throughout your training.

Once again, welcome to UMass!  Please do not hesitate to reach out to our team with any questions about student life at the University of Massachusetts Medical School.

Wishing you well,

Sonia Nagy Chimienti, MD
Associate Dean for Student Affairs




▴ Back To Top
Section Menu To Top