Search Close Search
Page Menu

H-1B Temporary Worker

H-1B temporary worker status is designated for individuals coming temporarily to the U. S. to work in a specialty occupation. A specialty occupation is defined as one that requires "theoretical and practical application of a body of highly specialized knowledge, and attainment of a bachelor's or higher degree, or its equivalent, as a minimum requirement." The H-1B is considered an "employer specific" status. This means that the indivdual may only be paid by the specific H-1B sponsor, and only according to the terms in the H-1B application. The process to attain this status is complex and requires several steps and certifications at the Department of Labor prior to filing. All H-1B requests must be processed through Immigration Services.