Search Close Search
Page Menu

F-1 Student Guidelines

These guidelines are meant to assist sponsoring departments and students holding F-1 student visa status who are enrolled in a full-time UMass Chan degree program.  The information below is taken directly from UMass Chan policy on F-1 students.

Obtaining an F-1 visa

  • When applying for an F-1 visa, the individual must prove to a U.S. consular official that they wish to enter the United States, temporarily and solely for purposes of study, and that they have no intention of abandoning their residence in their home country.
  • In order to obtain an F-1 visa, the prospective student must visit a United States Consulate or Embassy with the following documents: (1) SEVIS I-20 Form; (2) valid passport; (3) financial documents; (4) admission letter from UMass Chan. More detailed information on obtaining F-1 student visa is available.
  • When a prospective student has been accepted by the Office of Admissions the SEVIS I-20 Form is issued by Immigration Services. It is then forwarded to the Office of Admissions, who is responsible for delivery of the form to the student.
  • F-1 students will maintain their status by adhering to the following:
    • Maintain a valid passport.
    • Attend the school that issued the SEVIS I-20 Form.
    • Pursue a full-time course of study and demonstrate normal progress toward completion of designated program of study.
    • Follow US Citizenship and Immigration (USCIS) / SEVIS procedures for any change, i.e., change of address, change of name, school transfer, change of level, program extension, with the approval of Immigration Services.