Recruitment and Hiring of Faculty
The faculty at the University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) are dedicated and distinguished basic scientists and clinicians within the School of Medicine, Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences and Graduate School of Nursing. They provide the basis for achieving our mission of national distinction in health sciences education, research and public service. As an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, UMMS recognizes the power of a diverse community and encourages applications from individuals with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds.
Faculty are employed by the UMMS and its clinical partner UMass Memorial Health Care, Inc. (UMMHC). In conjunction with the UMMS Department of Human Resources, the OFA is responsible for overseeing the recruitment and hiring processes for faculty employed through the Medical School in accordance with the UMMS Procedures for Faculty Recruitment. Before initiating the recruitment process for a faculty position, departments are required to complete an Authorization for Faculty Search form. Effective June 6, 2011, all new UMMS faculty search processes that do not involve an executive search firm must utilize Academic Jobs Online (AJO). For further information regarding AJO, please visit the Human Resources’ Recruitment Support website to access job aids. After receiving authorization to recruit and before an offer is extended to a candidate, departments also are required to complete a Faculty Position Report form. Please contact the OFA at 508-856-2266 or by emailing Faculy.Affairs@umassmed.edu if you have any questions.
To learn about career opportunities with UMMS, please visit Academic Jobs Online for our current posted positions here.
Please note that the faculty recruitment and hiring processes are separate from the academic appointment process.
- Faculty Search Waiver and Expedited Search Form (PDF) (required to request search waiver or expedited search)
- Authorization for Faculty Search (PDF) (prior authorization required before initiating search process)
- Faculty Position Report (PDF) (prior authorization required before extending formal offer to candidate)
Guidelines and Policies
- Guide to Recruiting a Diverse Faculty (Contains resources through the Diversity & Inclusion website)
- Procedures for Faculty Recruitment (PDF) (UMMS policy outlines the standard business practices for faculty recruitment and hiring)
- Academic Jobs Online (UMMS faculty job openings)
- UMMMG Human Resouces Physician Career Opportunities (UMMMG physician job openings)
- UMMS Human Resources: Careers main page, AJO Job Aids