Categories of Employment
UMMS-Employed Faculty are designated in one of two categories:
- Academically-Salaried Faculty. Employees of UMMS who are hired into a Faculty position to conduct Academic Activities as a primary and independent responsibility.
- Professionally-Salaried Faculty. Employees of UMMS who are hired into a Faculty position to provide services to support a research, educational or clinical area. This category includes, but is not limited to, research investigators, scientists in core facilities, and individuals hired to provide services under a Department/business unit or institutional contract with an external entity, such as a federal, state or private agency.
Terms of Employment
- Non-Tenured Faculty Members, including individuals appointed in the Tenure Track with a Probationary Period, serve at the pleasure of the University of Massachusetts Board of Trustees, acting by and through the President and/or Chancellor, and are considered “at-will” employees. Tenured Faculty Members have continuing employment subject only to termination for “Cause” by UMMS (APP, Section 4.15).
- Terms of employment for UMMS-Employed Faculty are governed by their letter of offer, which may specify the individual’s duties and expectations, employment category, Faculty appointment (including academic rank and track), benefits, and salary; and by the policies in this APP. These employment terms may be modified in accord with policies and procedures in this APP, as may be amended, and also by subsequent written agreement between the individual and UMMS.
Some employment terms and conditions may also be addressed in applicable University of Massachusetts policies and UMMS Office of Human Resources policies. Any conflict between these policies is resolved in the following order: this APP, applicable University of Massachusetts policies, and applicable UMMS Office of Human Resources policies. Notwithstanding the above, all terms of employment must be in accord with federal, state and local laws.
Individuals are hired into Faculty positions in Departments, Schools or Non-Department Units. Recruitment and hiring of Faculty Members must be conducted according to UMMS procedure on Faculty Recruitment [UMMS Policy 04.05.00 Approved July 10, 2012, as amended].
Information regarding the recruitment and hiring processes is available here.
Termination “Not For Cause”
Employment of a Non-Tenured UMMS-Employed Faculty Member may be terminated “Not For Cause” at any time for any reason that is not unlawful, by the chair, director of a Non-Department Unit, SOM Dean, or GSN Dean (as applicable) following notification of the Provost’s designee for faculty affairs and on prior written notification to the individual with the following notice:
- For those in their first year of employment, at least three months in advance of termination of employment.
- For those who have been employed for more than one year but less than two years, at least six months in advance of termination of employment.
- For those who have been employed for two years or more, at least twelve months in advance of termination of employment.
Professionally-Salaried Faculty: at least 30 days in advance of termination of employment.
At the discretion of the chair, director or dean, the period of notice for any Faculty Member may be reduced by paying to the Faculty Member in a single payment an amount of money equal to one week's salary for every week by which the notice is foreshortened.
Termination of employment terminates an individual’s Faculty appointment with the exception that such individuals may continue their appointment on recommendation by the chair or GSN Dean and with approval by the SOM Dean (if applicable) and Provost or their designee.
Termination for “Cause”
The employment of a Non-Tenured UMMS-Employed Faculty Member may be terminated effective immediately for “Cause” (APP, Section 1.9) at any time by the chair, director of a Non-Department Unit, SOM Dean, or GSN Dean (as applicable), with review and approval by the SOM Dean (if applicable) and Provost on written notification to the Faculty Member. An individual who is terminated for cause is not entitled to the required notice or payment in lieu thereof. The Faculty appointment ends coterminously with termination of employment. The Faculty Member may seek resolution as defined in the Rights of Members of the Faculty in Academic Personnel Matters (APP, Section 1.8).
The employment and appointment of a Tenured UMMS-Employed Faculty Member may only be terminated for “Cause” by UMMS following the procedure described in this APP (APP, Section 4.15).
A Faculty Member may resign their employment at any time by prior written notification to the chair, director of a Non-Department Unit, SOM Dean, or GSN Dean (as applicable) at the earliest possible opportunity but at least 90 days prior to the effective last date of employment. With the consent of the chair, director or dean, an earlier date may be agreed. Individuals are entitled only to any compensation owed up to the agreed date.
Resignation of employment terminates an individual’s Faculty appointment with the exception that such individuals may continue their appointment on recommendation by the chair or GSN Dean and with approval by the SOM Dean (if applicable) and Provost or their designee.