For the latest COVID-19 campus news and resources, visit

Search Close Search
Search Close Search
Page Menu

Frequently Asked Questions


What is the Employee Assistance Program?

The UMass Chan EAP is a brief counseling and referral program for personal and work-related difficulties.  We often resolve issues within a few visits.  If after consultation with you we believe that you need assistance beyond what we can provide, we will help you with referrals in the community.  We will work with your medical benefits to connect you with affordable resources.  The costs of community referral services is paid by the employee.

What about confidentiality and sexual harassment?

Any discussion with the EAP counselor regarding workplace harassment, workplace discrimination or a violation of a company policy is not considered an official notification of the problem to your employer.  Since your information will be held confidential by the EAP, it is recommended you follow your company’s policy on reporting such incidents.

Is the EAP confidential?

Yes, contact with the EAP is strictly confidential to the full extent permitted by law.  Great care is given to protecting the identities of people who use the EAP.  Information is not included in personnel records, not revealed to supervisors, human resources, co-workers, family members, physicians or friends.  Expressed written permission is required by you, the EAP client, to provide any information to anyone.  More information about how your information is kept confidential is available in our Statement of Understanding.

If I see a counselor at the EAP, does that mean that I can't seek help if a new problem occurs?

No. There is no limit to the number of times you can access the EAP service.

How do I schedule an appointment?

To schedule an appointment with the EAP, simply call 1-800-322-5327.  Appointments are scheduled at your convenience. If you just have a question or need some information, call us for assistance in finding the answers.  EAP staff members are on hand Monday through Friday and there is a counselor on call 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

How do I know if I should call the EAP?

No concern is too small. EAP counselors often talk with people experiencing a range of personal, family, or work-related problems which may include; marital and relationship difficulties, family issues, emotional distress, anger, depression, alcohol and drug concerns, work conflicts and stress or financial or legal problems. It is not uncommon to feel uncomfortable in making your first call to the EAP.  The EAP provides several ways to reach us.  All friendly, comfortable and safe.  If you feel stressed, angry, sad or just need someone to talk to, we encourage you to contact the EAP. Any circumstance that is of concern to you is appropriate to discuss with us.

Do I have to pay for EAP services?

There is no cost to you as an employee or any of your household members for EAP services.  The EAP is sponsored by your employer. Your insurance will not be billed.  You will not be asked for a co-pay. It is free! If on your behalf an outside referral is made by the EAP every effort is made to make sure resources compatible with your financial situation are identified.

Can my supervisor make me come to the Employee Assistance Program?

No. Use of the UMass Chan Employee Assistance Program is voluntary.  Supervisors or concerned family members may assist you in making appointments, but the decision to come is yours alone.  It is common, however, for co-workers, colleagues, friends and supervisors who notice troubling changes of behavior or mood to recommend the EAP out of concern for a person’s welfare.

I understand that the EAP is confidential, but just how confidential is it?

The records kept at the EAP do not become part of your personnel file or hospital medical record.  Except as authorized by you in writing, EAP staff will keep your EAP records and personal information confidential unless disclosure is specifically indicated under applicable law or professional ethics, for example to protect your life or well being, or the life of another person, such as where there is a suspicion of child abuse/neglect, elder abuse/neglect, or abuse or neglect of a disabled person.