UMass Amherst Institute for Applied Life Sciences (IALS) 2016 Seed Grant Program
Accepting Applications: UMass Amherst IALS Seed Grant Program Overview
The 2016 IALS Seed Grant Program is a new funding program designed to support proof-of-concept translational science to catalyze human health-related product development.
Purpose of the Grant
The 2016 IALS Seed Grant Program aims to accelerate translational pre-clinical studies towards therapeutic candidates, diagnostics or health monitoring products that improve human health and well-being. Product candidates can include small molecule, peptide, protein or antibody therapeutics; medical devices as well as health care related software, tools, and apps.
Applications need to clearly define the translational milestones to be achieved by the end of the funding period, and how this project will be advanced after that.
Eligible applicants must satisfy the criteria below:
- The project must seek to generate milestone evidence needed to obtain significant private sector (sponsored research, licensing, or investors) or SBIR/STTR type funding, and
- The project includes a UMass Amherst faculty member affiliated with IALS as a Principal Investigator
What types of grants are available?
For this funding cycle one type of grant – the IALS Translational/Proof of Concept Grant is available.
- Provides up to $50,000 for up to 12 months
- Funding is milestone-driven, with at least one interim milestone
- Funds may be used for CROs as well as IALS or other core facilities, reagents and supplies, and incremental personnel costs
- Up to six grants will be awarded
Collaborations with industry and other UMass campuses are highly encouraged. Grant funds may match industry funding on a one grant dollar per two industry dollar basis.
Application Schedule and Deadlines
|Seed fund RFA announced:||CLOSED|
|Notice of grant awards:||CLOSED|
|Earliest start date:||CLOSED|
|Latest Start date:||CLOSED|
Proposal Reviews and Criteria
- Proposal reviews and recommendations will be made by committees (one for each Center) comprised of UMass and industry experts.
- Evaluation criteria include potential for commercial application, technical merit, and IP generation. Existing or proposed industry and integrative academic collaborations are encouraged.
More information and applications are available at: www.umass.edu/ials/seedgrant