Search Close Search
Page Menu

Tax Treaty Information

UMass Chan students and researchers from countries that have a tax treaty agreement with the U.S. may be eligible for either a reduced rate or a complete exemption from U.S. income tax.  Tax treaty eligibility is determined by the HR Data Group as part of the UMass Chan on-boarding process.  Tax treaties must be claimed annually by the individual making the claim. 

Read additional information on tax treaties from the University of Massachusetts' Office of the President.

Immigration Services cannot advise on tax treaty eligibility.  We recommend contacting a licensed tax professional, Certified Public Accountant, Tax Attorney or refer to the government resources below for questions related to tax treaties, federal or state withholding or personal tax filing. 

Please note that an employee must have a Social Security Number to receive any tax treaty benefit.

U.S. Government Tax Treaty Resources