Public Health, Medical Testing, & Patient Care
Bench-to-bedside translation of scientific information and analysis to inform or enact patient care and public health research or policy
Example job titles
Biostatistician* | Clinician | Clinical diagnostician | Clinical research project/program/trials manager/coordinator | Computational scientist* | Data analyst* | Epidemiologist* | Forensic scientist | Genetic counselor | Medical informaticist | Medical science liaison*| Medical/public health/environmental/genetic testing specialist | Patient advocate | Pathologist | Physician | Physician scientist* | Public health program analyst/evaluator/consultant | Research/medical informaticist* | Scientific/medical/technical writer* | Scientific/medical illustrator* | Therapist
*These job titles appear in other career pathways
Additional keywords to find more information or job postings
Public health | Medical testing | Health care | Clinical trial | Epidemiology | Medical devices | Translational research | Genetic testing
Get up-to-speed & stay current
Look for the corresponding myIDP categories: Clinical research management | Clinical practice | Public health related careers | Scientific/medical testing
- Read and contribute to discussion interest groups on AcademyHealth
- Get additional advice on how you can prepare for this career from scientists who have recently transitioned into a role in this field, as well as from those who have made hiring decisions.
Build your network
Get training & experience
Deeper training opportunities & experiences
- Search for internship and fellowship opportunities in health services and health policy research (curated by AcademyHealth.org)
- Search for training programs and fellowships offered through research institutes and professional societies; for example:
Gearing up for a career transition?
- All transitions (even those that are positive, desired, and successful) involve some amount of stress. This article on "Understanding the Impact of Change" from the NIH OITE blog offers a practical approach for considering an upcoming transition and doing a brief self-assessment to navigate change effectively.
Have a suggestion? Know of a great local opportunitity? Let us know.