What's offered... for Postdoctoral Scholars
Postdoctoral training enables you to further develop your research skills and expertise while transitioning toward becoming an independent investigator. To succeed in science—as a postdoc and in your future career—you will need a host of professional skills and to be able to navigate your own career advancement. We are here to support you in these goals.
With funding from a Burroughs Wellcome Fund grant and an NIH BEST grant, we are launching new initiatives over the next few years.
cBCD resources and services tailored to you:
- “Creating Your Individual Development Plan (IDP)” training within the Responsible Conduct of Research course required for all newly-hired postdoctoral scholars
- Opportunities to interact with alumni and other PhD scientists who have navigated their career, such as at Career Chats, Careers for PhDs, and Career Pathways Communities (see our list of events)
- Workshops to enhance your professional skills (see our list of events)
- Workshops to help you navigate a job search (see our list of events)
- GSBS Career & Professional Development special collection in the Lamar Soutter Library
- Weekly e-newsletter (cBCD Weekly Highlights) featuring resources, events, opportunities to gain experience, and example job postings
- Individual, confidential appointments with cBCD staff to discuss a specific issue related to your own career development (available to current and former Ph.D. students and postdocs)
- Web resources to help you:
- Office for Postdoctoral Scholars events and resources
- The Center for Clinical and Translational Science offers educational opportunities for postdocs, including the K-Club (Research Career Award Writing Group)
- Company site visits, organized by the trainee-led initiative, Industry Exploration (IndEx) program
- MassTERi eClub events organized by trainees to learn the basics of entrepreneurship and network with successful academic entrepreneurs, innovators, investors, legal professionals and business people
- Learn or teach data analysis and visualization software and techniques -- including the programming languages R, Python, and more -- with the students and postdocs of GSBS Bootstrappers
- Request to reserve the GSBS office conference room for a phone, online, or in-person interview or career-related meeting (tele- and video- conference equipment available)
We value your input and feedback. We are rigorously evaluating our programs to identify best practices, measure outcomes and impact, and understand unintended consequences. We appreciate your contributions to this effort, and welcome your feedback.