Science Education Journal Club
The Science Education Journal Club at UMass Medical School brings together students, postdocs, faculty, and staff to discuss research that guides best practices for teaching and mentoring in the sciences.
Following the model begun at UCSF, each meeting is a discussion focusing on a classical or recent paper from the field of science education research. The UMassMed SciEdJC is organized by a student/postdoctoral organizing committee in partnership with the GSBS Center for Biomedical Career Development. We are partners with the UCSF Science Education Journal Club, and periodically video-connect to build community with like-minded peers across the country.
What you will get out of the meetings
- Build a local community interested in science education
- Develop a better understanding of successful education practices
- Discuss recent scientific evidence supporting specific pedagogical approaches with peers
- Gain an appreciation for science education research
Upcoming UMMSciEdJC events
|Thursday, March 1, 2018 | 12-1 p.m. | Room AS4-2042
"Teaching More by Grading Less (or Differently)"
Paper to be discussed: Schinske, J.; Tanner, K. CBE Life Sci. Educ. 2014, 13,159-166.
Students dislike being graded, and instructors dislike grading students. Many stakeholders agree that current systems require improvement, but what exactly should be done? After outlining a brief history of grading in the US, Schinske and Tanner discuss the purposes of grading and offer some strategies for improvement, including the provocative proposal to grade less.
Facilitator: Alireza Edraki, Graduate Student, RNA Therapeutics Institute at UMassMed
|Wednesday, February 28, 2018 | 3-4 p.m. | Hosted by UCSF (join via videoconference)
Paper to be discussed will be posted here when available.
UMMSciEdJC Committee Members
- Alireza Edraki, Graduate Student, RNA Therapeutics Institute (Chair)
- Ratna Chaturvedi, Postdoc, Department of Neurobiology
- Jinying Chen, Postdoc, Department of Quantitative Health Sciences
- Vivek Sharma, Postdoc, RNA Therapeutics Institute
- Cynthia Fuhrmann, Assistant Dean, Career & Professional Development (Faculty Advisor)
Archive of UMMSciEdJC events
View an archive of UCSF's Science Education Journal Club events >
Interested in suggesting a paper or facilitating a UMMSciEdJC? Please contact UMMSciEdJC@umassmed.edu.