Navigating the intersections of your life and career
Many important life factors affect our career advancement and choices either continuously or sporadically.
In this section
Financial resources for professional development
- The Graduate Student Body Committee offers funds for student professional development activities. Watch your email for announcements of application deadlines.
- Stay in MA funding (for graduate students only) to attend events of technology and business organizations in the region to further your professional development
Traditionally underrepresented groups in the sciences
- UMass Medical School Women's Faculty Committee - Facebook group
- NEW! AWIS (Association of Women in Science) Worcester Area Affiliate Group
- The Advancing Postdoc Women Clearinghouse has information about mentoring, career and professional development, and childcare resources available through 46 professional associations and societies
- CareerWISE online coaching, resources, and research to help women in science and engineering (WISE)
- HerStories videos chronicle successful women in science and engineering who have completed their doctoral degrees and progressed into STEM careers, organized by the Common Concern topics (Advisor Issues, Balance, Climate, and Delays).
- The Pregnant Scholar provides an online toolkit for students, postdocs, faculty, and administrators with details on how Title IX protections apply to maternity leave, etc.
- SACNAS (Society for the Advancement of Hispanics/Chicanos and Native Americans in Science) Summer Leadership Institute (PhD degree required)
Individuals with disabilities
Balancing & integrating life+career
Additional sources of support & resources at UMMS