"Life After the Ph.D." Alumni Networking Event
Saturday, May 5, 2018
2:45 - 4:45 p.m. | iTLC Rooms on the 2nd floor of the School Building
This popular GSBS event returns in 2018 to bring together alumni and current students/postdocs to discuss topics at the intersection of science, career, and life. Participants rotate through tables in a small-group speed networking format to meet fellow alumni, students, and postdocs via discussion of common interests. This event culminates with informal networking and an opportunity to challenge new (or old) acquaintances in a variety of outdoor/indoor games.
Registration for this event is now closed.
Alumni register here for this and other reunion events.
GSBS alumni table discussion leaders include:
- Ami Ashar-Patel (PhD '17, postdoc '17), Scientific Inside Sales Representative at STEMCELL Technologies
- Shovon Ashraf (PhD '01), Associate at Goodwin
- Jared Auclair (PhD '08), Director of Biotechnology Professional Science Masters and Training at Northeastern University
- Jennifer Cotton (PhD '16), Postdoctoral Scholar, Novartis Institutes for BioMedical Research
- Tathagat Dutta Ray (PhD '10), Technology Specialist at Hamiton, Brook, Smith & Reynolds, P.C.
- Kim Foster (PhD '88), Consultant at YES Pharma Services GmbH
- Sneha Gupta (PhD '13), Regulatory Affairs Professional at MassBiologics
- Sonia Hall (postdoc '17), Director of Engagement and Development, Genetics Society of America (GSA)
- Reina Improgo (PhD '11) Senior Research Scientist, Idera Pharmaceuticals
- Nitya Jain (PhD '09; postdoc '12) Assistant Professor, Pediatrics, Harvard Medical School; Assistant Immunologist, Pediatrics, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Alexander Lagadinos (PhD '13), Senior Manager, Business Development, Sarepta Therapeutics
- Richard Melloni (PhD '93, postdoc '95), Professor of Psychology and Director, Program in Behavioral Neuroscience, Northeastern University
- Matthew Murawski (PhD '09), Senior Director Business Development at ApoCell, Inc.
- Sri Narasimhan (PhD '10), Senior Editor, Cell
- Mihir Rajurkar (PhD '14), Postdoctoral Fellow at Harvard Medical School
- Melissa Rotunno (PhD '15), Postdoctoral Researcher at Sanofi Genzyme
- Reddy Ranjith Kumar Sama (PhD '14), Senior Clinical Trial Manager, Alnylam Pharmaceuticals
- Tracy E. Schmidt (PhD '13), Associate Director, Corporate and Foundation Relations "Bridging Bench to Bedside"
- Djade Soumana, (PhD '15) Sales Specialist at GE Healthcare Life Sciences
- Mikayla Rae Thompson (PhD '14), Manager, Regulatory Affairs CMC at Biogen
- Aditya Venkatesh (PhD '16), Senior Scientist at Stoke Therapeutics
- Cara Weismann (PhD '14; postdoc '16), AAAS Sciecne & Technology Policy Fellow, National Genome Research Institute
Potential Discussion Topics:
The Business of Science - Intellectual Property in Biomedical Sciences - The Inner Workings of Regulatory Affairs - Getting Postdoctoral Experience in Industry - Moving into Industry without Postdoctoral Experience - Finding and Succeeding in an Academic Postdoc - Starting Up as a Junior Faculty Member - Academia: Balancing Teaching & Research - How to Get Noticed in the Job Market: Building Skills That Translate to All Careers - Taking the Leap from the Bench - Scientific Consulting - Engaging with the Public & Scientific Outreach - Advocating for Science and Science Policy
The “Life After the PhD” Organizing Committee:
Cansu Colpan (co-chair)
Zachary Kennedy (co-chair)
Ciearra Smith (co-chair)
Djade Soumana (Ph.D. ‘15)
GSBS Center for Biomedical Career Development:
This event is hosted by the Graduate Student Body Committee in partnership with the GSBS Center for Biomedical Career Development and UMMS Alumni Relations.