MD/PhD (MSTP) Program
The Medical Scientist Training Program (MSTP) funded MD/PhD program offers exceptional training opportunities for those interested in pursuing careers as physician/scientists. The program combines the curriculum of the School of Medicine (SOM) and the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS) to provide a structured foundation of diverse topics, with the flexibility necessary to meet the needs of the individual student.
The goal of the MD/PhD program is to provide highly motivated students the opportunities to develop skills and experience in biomedical investigation and the practice of medicine. This is a rigorous and challenging program, and upon successful completion the student is awarded both the PhD in biomedical sciences and the MD. We train physician-scientists who will make significant contributions to health care and who will become the leaders of academic medicine.
Program Directors: Gyongyi Szabo, MD, PhD, and Silvia Corvera, MD
Highlights of the MD/PhD Program
- Choice of either Basic & Biomedical Sciences or Clinical & Population Health Research
- Integrated curriculum
- Pool of more than 350 thesis advisors
- Mentorship by physician-scientists
- Annual off-site program research retreat
- Monthly seminars and workshops by and for students
- Grant writing and fellowship opportunities
- Student Advisory Committee participation
- Career guidance