All participants must be at least eighteen years old, matriculating and a U.S. citizen or permanent resident to apply.
- Participants cannot be receiving funding from any other sources during the program.
- Participants MUST have proof of health insurance coverage prior to acceptance to the program.
- College seniors who will have graduated by the time the program starts in June are not eligible for the program.
When submitting an application please check off one of the following funding sources:To be eligible for NIH funding at least ONE of the following requirements must apply:
- Member of a racial or ethnic group under-represented in biomedical research (African American, Native American [Hawaiian and Alaskan] and Hispanic/Latino)
- Family meets criteria for disadvantaged (economic or educational) status
- Presently receive accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act
Participants, who do not meet any of the criteria above, please select SURE funding
Applications must be submitted online from the Apply Now tab. Applications will be available on November 15, 2017. The application submission deadline is March 11, 2018.
1. Do I have to complete my online application or can I save it? You can go back and complete your application a section at a time. If you do not complete the page and hit “next” it will not be saved. Only applications completed by the deadline will be considered.
2. What if I forget my “password”? Use the login page and “click” forgot password a new one will be sent to your email address.
3. How do I check the “status” of my application?
- Pending-In process of filling in application.
- Submitted-Application is filled out and Transcripts and Resume have been uploaded.
- Completed-Application is complete and all supporting documents and LOR’s have been submitted with the application.
4. Do I need to provide an Official Transcript? Students offered acceptance or placed on the alternate list must have the Registrar at their current institution submit an official transcript that includes the spring 2017-semester courses or a letter from Registrar by email or mail confirming spring 2017 enrollment. Students who fail to meet this requirement will not be able to participate in the program.
5. Documents that were uploaded did not save to the page, why? You must upload all documents (resume, transcripts) and personal statement and click "submit" for your page to save and send the LOR requests. Once you click "submit" your application is not available to edit.
6. Who can I ask for letters of recommendation? Letters of Recommendation are requested through the Combined Summer Undergraduate Research Program online application. Applicants should enter the recommender’s professional email address. The application generates an email request to fillout an on line LOR form to the applicants application. Click "submit" for your page to save and send the LOR requests
Letters of Recommendation require a professional email address to be considered. Only emails from institutional email addresses will be accepted (i.e. @college.edu, @lab.gov or @hospital.org). E-mails from non-institutional (i.e. @yahoo.com, @gmail.com, @ymail.com, etc.) will NOT be accepted. Only on line letters of recommendation can be accepted.
7. How do I know what letter of recommendation is missing? The email of the LOR that is missing will show when you log in. If you click on their email address it will send another email request automatically.
8. When I enter the income is gives an error message, why? When entering income use ONLY numbers. No dollar signs or comas.
9. If the name of my college is not listed, how do I enter it? Select "other" from the drop down menu and fill ut the information requested.