Securing Research Data
- Encrypt data. Ensure that all your computing devices are encrypted and have operating anti-virus software. Please contact the Help Desk @ firstname.lastname@example.org or (508) 856-8643 for assistance.
- Limit access to only those that require it and have been identified within an approved IRB protocol.
- Conduct periodic access reviews. It is important that regular reviews of access are conducted and individuals no longer requiring access to the data are promptly removed.
- Follow Minimum Use guidelines. Only allow access to the minimum datasets required to just those that need it.
- Do not e-mail PHI or PII without encryption.
- Ensure you have a strong password and change it regularly. Passwords must contain 8 characters and include at least three of the following:
- lower-case, upper-case, numerical or special characters.
For additional Information Security information please visit the UMMS Information Security web site.