UMass Medical School Media Fellowship
Kristy Lee, of NBC Boston/NECN, examines a zebrafish during
a session on melanoma research at the 2017 media fellowship.
The University of Massachusetts Medical School’s media fellowship offers print, broadcast and digital journalists the opportunity to immerse themselves for two full days in a leading academic biomedical research institution, gaining access to our leaders and faculty as you develop story ideas, contacts, and a greater context for cutting-edge medicine and science reporting.
2018 Fellowship dates: December 4-5
Overnight accommodations are available and all meals will be provided.
Participants at the 2017 UMass Medical School media fellowship
We Offer A Rare Opportunity For Journalists To…
- Immerse yourself in the commonwealth’s only public medical school
- Dedicate two thought-provoking days to learning, with no deadlines to meet!
- Come face-to-face with top researchers, clinicians, and leaders
- Generate innovative story ideas and cultivate new contacts close to home to better cover a wide variety of medical and science stories
- Gain hands-on experience in a working research lab and in a professional simulation learning center
- Recharge professionally
- Network with other journalists
- Gain a deeper understanding of relevant and important science and medical issues
What We Ask Of You…
- You must have the permission of your bosses to attend
- Consider all sessions to be on background, unless otherwise noted
- Bring your curiosity, desire to learn, and a general interest in covering science, medical and health-related topics
- Complete an application
What We Offer Your Bosses…
- A rare opportunity for valued employees to participate in professional development – at no cost to you or your company
- Learning and access that will distinguish your coverage on a wide variety of medical and science stories
- Just two days away from the newsroom - a brief investment of time that will reinvigorate your employee, strengthen their dedication and improve future performance