Buscar Close Search
Page Menu

GIC Health Insurance

At retirement, you are eligible to continue your GIC health and life insurance coverage. You are eligible for retirement at any age with twenty or more years of state service, or at age 55 or 60 (depending on hire date) with ten or more years of state service.

If you are eligible but elect not to retire when you leave state service you can elect a Deferred Retirement status. You may accomplish this by completing Form-1A. For information contact Benefits in the HR Service Center at (508) 856-5260, option 1.

Under Age 65: If you retire and are under the age of 65 you will continue with the same health insurance plan.

Age 65 and over: If you retire, and are over the age of 65, your health insurance choices depend on where you live and whether you, or your spouse (if applicable), is eligible for Medicare. If you (the enrollee) are retired, state law requires that you must enroll in Medicare Parts A and B. If you (the enrollee) continue working after age 65, you and/or your spouse can enroll in Medicare Part A. When you retire, you and/or your spouse must enroll in Medicare Part B and join a Medicare plan sponsored by the GIC.

If you do not enroll in Medicare Part B within the required time frame, you will be required to pay federal government penalties. Also, you may be ineligible for health coverage through the GIC if you do not enroll in Medicare Part B within the required time frame.

Refer to the annual GIC Retiree/Survivor Benefit Decision Guide for general information, or contact the plans for more detailed information.

If you decide to continue your health insurance after retirement the premiums will be deducted from your monthly pension. During the period before you receive your first pension check, the GIC will bill you directly for premiums due. If you have not received a bill by your third month of retirement, call the GIC at (617) 727-2310 to avoid losing your coverage. Do not send a payment without a bill unless you are instructed to do so.

As a retiree, you may change health insurance only during annual enrollment held in April, or if you leave your health plan's service area. You must complete and submit a GIC Insurance Enrollment/Change Form (Form 1) and submit to the Group Insurance Commission (GIC). Annual enrollment changes are effective the following July 1.