A Mindful Way Through Depression MBCT | CT-201-CFM
Designed specifically to help prevent recurrent depression
What is MBCT?
Mindfulness-Based Cognitive Therapy (MBCT) is an 8-week program for people with depression. MBCT combines the practice and clinical application of mindfulness meditation with the tools of cognitive therapy to break the cycle of depression. For more information on MBCT and to determine if it is right for you, click here.
This program is most beneficial:
- For those who have suffered from recurrent depression
- For those who have been advised to remain on antidepressant medication for the rest of their life to prevent a recurrence, as MBCT may be a welcome alternative
- For those interested in an opportunity to learn a new way of relating to unwanted thoughts and feelings and powerful skills for responding to them in an intentional and skillful manner
What is the course structure and commitment?
The MBCT program consists of:
- Orientation (required for enrollment, no charge)
- Eight weekly classes, 2 1/2 hours each (31 hours direct instruction)
- One All-Day class on a Saturday or Sunday, between classes 6 and 7
- Daily home practice assignments for 45-60 minutes each day
You must be willing to make a strong commitment to attend all classes and to practice daily home assignments for eight weeks. If you are unable to attend your regularly scheduled class, we encourage you to make up the class by attending a different class that same week.
How much does it cost?
Click here for Tuition and Payment Plans
3 easy steps to get started
- Look at the Class Schedule to determine days and times that work for you.
- Check the Orientation Schedule to find an Orientation Session (required) that works for you.
- Complete the Orientation Registration Form*
* Please note, payment will not be requested for in-person class until after orientation
|Class Schedule - Fall 2018|
|Tuesday PM||6:00 - 8:30pm||September 25 - November 13||Tuesday, September 11, 6:00 - 8:30 pm|
|Required All-Day class: Sunday, November 4|
|Winter Session begins week of January 28 (registration details TBA)|
The first step toward enrollment in the Stress Reduction Program is an Orientation Session - before the start of classes. These Orientation Sessions are free of charge and are required of all participants before beginning the program. During these sessions you will have the opportunity to:
- Learn about MBCT and explore whether it is right for you
- Meet our program instructors
- Experience, first-hand, mindfulness methods and approaches you will be learning during the program
- Confirm your place in the class that fits into your schedule and enroll in the program.
Register online to reserve your place in an upcoming Orientation Session. If you are unable to register online, please call 508-856-2656 (Option 1).
The All-Day class is an intensive 7.5 hour session of mindfulness practices intended to assist participants in firmly and effectively establishing the use of mindfulness across multiple situations in their lives, while simultaneously preparing them to utilize mindfulness far beyond the conclusion of the MBCT program.
This all-day class takes place between weeks six and seven. The intensive nature of this session is intended to assist you in firmly and effectively establishing the use of MBCT skills across multiple situations in your life. Having established a daily mindfulness practice during the previous 6 weeks, you will be better prepared to benefit from this class.
- Make sure to bring a lunch
- Wear loose fitting clothes in layers since the temperature may fluctuate
- Bring mats, cushions, blankets, or any other items to help in your practice
Orientation Sessions, Weekly Classes and the All-Day Class are all conducted in the Center for Mindfulness at the University of Massachusetts Medical School Shrewsbury Campus. We are located at 222 Maple Avenue, Shrewsbury, MA 01545, at the Hoagland-Pincus Building. Please click here for directions.