Publications: Carl Fulwiler
1. Fulwiler C and Saper C: Subnuclear organization of the efferent connections of the parabrachial nucleus in the rat. Brain Research Reviews 7:229-259, 1984.
2. Fulwiler C and Saper C: Cholecystokinin-immunoreactive innervation of the ventromedial hypothalamus in the rat. Neuroscience Letters 53:289-296, 1985.
3. Pope H, Cole J, Choras P, Fulwiler C: Apparent neuroleptic malignant syndrome with clozapine and lithium. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease 174:493-495, 1986.
4. Chou W–G, Majocha RE, Sajdel-Sulkowska EM, Benes FM, Salim M, Stoler M, Fulwiler CE, Ventosa-Michelman M, Rodenrys AM, Moore KE, Webb T, Zain SB, Marotta CA: Immunologic and molecular genetic studies on amyloid deposition in the Alzheimer's disease brain. Brain Dysfunction 1:133-145, 1988.
5. Sajdel-Sulkowska E, Chou W-G, Salim M, Rehman S, Majocha R, Fulwiler C, Zain SB, Marotta C: Genetic expression of amyloid and glial-specific protein in the Alzheimer brain. Journal of the American Geriatric Society, 36:558-564, 1988.
6. Fulwiler C, Schmitt EA, Kim J, JE Dowling: Retinal patterning in the zebrafish mutant cyclops, Journal of Comparative Neurology, 381: 449-460, 1997.
7. Fulwiler C, Forbes C, Santangelo S, Folstein MF: Self-mutilation and suicide attempt: Distinguishing features in prisoners, Journal of the American Academy of Law and Psychiatry, 25:69-77, 1997.
8. Fulwiler C, Grossman H, Cooper Forbes C, Ruthazer R: Early-onset substance abuse and community violence by outpatients with chronic mental illness, Psychiatric Services 48:1181-1186, 1997.
9. Fulwiler C and Ruthazer R: Premorbid risk factors for violence in mental illness, Comprehensive Psychiatry 40(2):96-100, 1999.
10. Fulwiler C, Eckstine J, Kalsy S: Impulsive-aggressive traits, serotonin function, and alcohol-enhanced aggression. Journal of Clin Pharmacology 45(1): 94-100, 2005.
11. Antonucci AS, Gansler DA, Tan D, Bhadelia R, Patz S, Fulwiler C: Orbitofrontal correlates of aggression in psychiatric patients. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging 147: 213-220, 2006.
12. Margolin A, Schuman-Olivier Z, Beitel M, Arnold RM, Fulwiler CE, Avants SK: A Preliminary Study of Spiritual Self-Schema Therapy for Reducing Impulsivity in HIV-positive Drug Users. Journal of Clinical Psychology 63(10): 979–999, 2007.
13. Dinn WA, Gansler D, Moczynski N, Fulwiler C: Brain Dysfunction and Community Violence in Patients with Major Mental Illness Criminal Justice & Behavior 36 (2), 117-136, 2009.
14. Gansler D, McLaughlin NC, Iguchi L, Jerram M, Moore DW, Bhadelia R, Fulwiler C: A multivariate approach to aggression and the orbital frontal cortex in psychiatric patients Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging 171: 145-154, 2009.
15. Moore DW, Bhadelia RA, Billings RL, Fulwiler C, Heilman KM, Rood KMJ, Gansler DA: Hemispheric connectivity and the visual-spatial divergent-thinking component of creativity. Brain and Cognition, 70(3): 267-272, 2009.
16. McLaughlin NCR, Wiebe D, Fulwiler C, Gansler DA: Differential contributions of lateral prefrontal cortex regions to visual memory processes. Brain Imaging and Behavior, 3 (2): 202-211, 2009.
17. Emerton BC, Jerram M, Deckersbach T, Dougherty DD, Fulwiler C, Gansler DA: A comparison of voxel-based morphometry and volumetry methods in the context of the neural basis of aggression. Brain Imaging and Behavior, 3(4): 332-341, 2009.
18. Gansler DA, Lee AKW, Emerton BC, D’Amato C, Bhadelia R, Jerram M, Fulwiler C: Prefrontal regional correlates of self-control in male psychiatric patients: impulsivity facets and aggression. Psychiatry Research: Neuroimaging, 191: 16-23, 2011.
19. Lee AKW, Jerram M, Fulwiler C, Gansler DA: Neural Correlates of Impulsivity Factors in Psychiatric Patients and Healthy Volunteers: A Voxel-Based Morphometry Study. Brain Imaging and Behavior, Mar;5(1):52-6, 2011.
20. Hartwell SW, Deng X, Fisher W, Fulwiler C, Sambamoorthi U, Johnson C, Pinal DA, Sampson L, Siegfiedt J: Harmonizing databases? Developing a quasi-experimental design to evaluate a public mental health re-entry. Evaluation and Program Planning. 35(4):461-72, 2012.
21. Fulwiler C, King JA, Zhang N: Amygdala-orbitofrontal resting-state functional connectivity is associated with trait anger. Neuroreport 23 (10):606-10, 2012.
22. Hartwell S, Xiaogang D, Fisher WH, Siegfriedt J, Roy-Bujnowski K, Johnson C, & Fulwiler C: Predictors of Accessing Substance Abuse Services Among Individuals With Mental Disorders Released From Correctional Custody. Journal of Dual Diagnosis 9(1):11-22, 2013.
23. Gopal A, Clark E, Allgair A, D'Amato C, Furman M, Gansler DA, Fulwiler C: Dorsal/ventral parcellation of the amygdala: relevance to impulsivity and aggression. Psychiatry Res. 211(1):24-30, 2013.
24. Fisher WH, Hartwell SW, Den X, Pinals DA, Fulwiler C, Roy-Bujnowski K: Recidivism among Released State Prison Inmates Who Received Mental Health Treatment While Incarcerated. Crime & Delinquency 60 (6): 811-832, 2014. DOI: 10.1177/0011128714541204
25. Byron G, Ziedonis D, McGrath C, Frazier J, deTorrijos F, Fulwiler C: Implementation of Mindfulness Training For Mental Health Staff: Organizational Context and Stakeholder Perspectives. Mindfulness 6(4):861-872, 2015 DOI: 10.1007/s12671-014-0330-2.
26. Smelson DA, Pinals DA, Sawh L, Fulwiler C, Singer S, Guevremont N, Fisher W, Steadman HJ, Hartwell S: An Alternative to Incarceration: Co-Occurring Disorders Treatment Intervention for Justice-Involved Veterans, World Medical & Health Policy, 2015, 7 (4), 329-348.
27. Quan M, Zhang N, King JA, Kennedy D, Ziedonis D, Fulwiler C: Amygdala Structural Connectivity and Dispositional Mindfulness (under review).
28. Lee AKW, Gansler D, Zhang N, Jerram M, King JA, Fulwiler C: Mindfulness training promotes non-reactivity to implicit anger arousal (under review).
29. Cavanagh S, Birk J, Urry H, Opitz P, Fulwiler C: Assessing Mindfulness Ability: A Novel Task Reflects Changes in Emotional Responding Following Mindfulness Training (under review)
30. Hartwell S, Alison J, Rodriquez R, Chery T, Andrews J, Jones B, Fulwiler C: Feasibility and Impact of Mindfulness for Survivors of Homicide and Their Providers, (under review)
31. Levoy E, Lazaridou A, Brewer J, Fulwiler C: An exploratory study of Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction for emotional eating. Appetite, 2016, DOI: 10.1016/j.appet.2016.11.029.
32. Fulwiler C, Siegel J, Allison J, Rosal MC, Brewer J, King JA: Keeping Weight Off: Study Protocol of a RCT to Investigate Brain Changes Associated with Mindfulness-Based Stress Reduction, BMJ Open 2016;6: e012573. doi:10.1136/ bmjopen-2016-012573.
Invited Articles and Chapters:
1. Fulwiler C and Pope H: Depression in personality disorder, in Presentations of Depression, Oliver G. Cameron (ed.). John Wiley and Sons, New York, 1987.
2. Fulwiler C and Gilbert W: Zebrafish embryology and neural development. (Review) Current Opinions in Cell Biology, 3:988-991, 1991.
3. Fulwiler C, Grossman H, Cooper Forbes C, Ruthazer R: Early-onset substance abuse and community violence by outpatients with chronic mental illness, in Violent Behavior & Mental Illness, pp.64-68. American Psychiatric Association, Psychiatric Services Research Center, Washington, DC, 1997.
4. Fulwiler C and Folstein MF: Commentary on Chris Walker's Interpretation of Karl Jaspers' Phenomenology: A Critique. Philosophy, Psychiatry and Psychology, 2(4), 345-346, 1995
5. Fulwiler C: Release planning for inmates with mental illness, Correctional Health Care Report, March/April 2000.
6. McMackin R and Fulwiler C: A public health-juvenile justice collaboration to address the psychiatric needs of incarcerated juveniles, The Organizational Response to Social Problems 8:335-361, 2001.
7. Loucks EB, Schuman-Oliver Z, Britton WB, Fresco DM, Desbordes, G, Brewer JA, Fulwiler C. Mindfulness and Cardiovascular Disease Risk: State of the Evidence, Plausible Mechanisms, and Theoretical Framework. Current Cardiology Reports 2015 Dec;17(12):112. doi: 10.1007/s11886-015-0668-7.
8. Fulwiler C, Brewer JA, Sinnott S, Loucks EB. Mindfulness-Based Intervention for Weight Loss and CVD Risk Management. Current Cardiovascular Risk Reports 2015 Oct; 9:46. doi: 10.1007/s12170-015-0474-1.
The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment, 4th edition, Psychiatric Services, 60:129, 2009.