Federal and State Tax Forms & Resources

U.S. tax law is very complicated. Only authorized tax prepares are covered from possible liability if a tax form is not completed properly on behalf of the individual. Therefore, Immigration Services cannot assist preparing federal or state tax returns. We have provided some additional information below to help you comply with your individual tax filing responsibilities while you are in the U.S.

Common tax forms issued to an employee or student by UMMS*

  • Form W-2 Wage and Tax Statement - statement of all income NOT covered under a tax treaty.  This is mailed to your home address by UMMS Payroll Office by January 31, of each calendar year. 
  • Form 1042-S - Foreign Person's U.S. Source Income Subject to Withholding - statement of all income covered under tax treaty agreement.  This is sent out by March 15, of each calendar year.

*Note that not all individuals will receive the same tax forms and may receive different forms from year to year.  You may receive one, both or neither of these forms depending on several factors.   You might even receive additional tax forms from UMMS, a bank, lender, etc. based on your particular situation.

How to obtain tax filing forms & publications

  • Download federal forms and publications from http://www.irs.gov/formspubs/
  • Download Massachusetts forms and publications from http://www.mass.gov/dor
  • Contact the IRS Forms Distribution Center at 1-800-829-3676 (1-800-TAX-FORM)
  • Contact the IRS at 1-800-829-1040 and wait for appropriate voice prompts
  • Visit your local Public Library as they normally have a supply of forms and instructions
  • Contact or visit the local IRS office [120 Front Street, Worcester - 508-793-8227]

 Filing Resources

  • U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens (IRS Publication 519) - Contains useful information on a variety of issues affecting foreign nationals and their U.S. tax status.
  • U.S. Tax Treaties (IRS Publication 901) - Contains detailed information on U.S. tax treaties.
  • Tax Filing Assistance
    • Glacier (Arctic International) - software that provides assistance for non-resident aliens ONLY.  Does not assist with State filing requirments
    • IS Taxes - software that provides assistance for non-resident aliens ONLY. Also has links and information about State filing, but does not assist with actual State form completion.
    • Bunker Hill Community College - Volunteer Income Tax Assistance - Will require travel to Boston, MA for an appointment.  If you are a non-resident alien for tax purposes or a recipient of a tax treaty, please contact the program directly at the number provided to confirm that the volunteer you are scheduled with can help with your particular tax situation.
    • Software Programs for Resident Alien Tax Filing Assistance- There are many programs to assist resident aliens (who are taxed like U.S. citizens) including TaxAct, TurboTax and H&R Block.  There are many options available.
    • Contact a tax preparation specialist (see listing on right sidebar). Be sure to confirm, prior to any agreements, that the specialist is aware of tax issues/forms for non-resident aliens (if applicable).