Goal Setting Tips for Successful New Year’s Resolutions
The start of a new year is a natural time to set goals and resolutions. Many of us make New Year's resolutions, but most of these good intentions are set aside and soon forgotten.
Success takes focus, planning and hard work. Here are some tips for creating attainable goals:
1. Focus on one goal at a time.
2. The goal should be realistic and specific.
3. The goal should be measurable.
4. List the reasons the goal is important to you.
5. Break the goal down into small steps.
6. Enhance your commitment and motivation.
7. Think of some barriers that could prevent you from achieving your goal and plan ways to deal with those barriers.
8. Have someone to help hold you accountable.
9. Set interim goals and deadlines.
10. Be kind to yourself if you slip, and don’t let that slip interrupt or stop the progress toward your goal.
11. Reward yourself for accomplishment along the way.
Using a goal planning worksheet can help you plan your goal and map your progress. Download a goal planning worksheet here.