Frequently Asked Questions
What will I learn during this program?
The course includes the following nine modules;
- Module 1 The Tobacco Problem.
- Module 2 Health Consequences of Smoking.
- Module 3 Understanding Tobacco Use Disorder.
- Module 4 Principles of Behavior Change.
- Module 5 Talking with Clients about Tobacco Use.
- Module 6 Pharmacotherapy.
- Module 7 Intake, Assessment and Treatment Planning.
- Module 8 Creating an Environment Supportive of Tobacco Treatment Services.
- Module 9 Tobacco Control Resources and TTS Credentialing Information.
The nine modules description including each module goals and objectives can be found on this page.
Where and when will the program be held?
The online program is offered continually. You may register at any time by visiting our registration page. Once registered, you will have 6 months to complete the course. The average time it takes a user to complete the course is 10-12 hours.
What is the cost of the program?
The cost for our program is $175. This includes downloadable slides, resources and handouts.
What are the requirements for taking Basic Skills for Working with Smokers?
In order to take this online program you will need a computer to access our Blackboard platform. The course consists of PowerPoint slide presentations with audio, videos, and online quizzes.
Do you offer CEUs?
We offer CEUs for the following:
- CHES/MCHES (12)
- Social Workers (12)
- Respiratory Therapists (12)
- Registered Dental Hygienists (12)
- Certified Substance Abuse Counselors (CADAC/CAC/LADC.)(11)
- RNs/LPNs (12) contact hours
- General certificate of completion (12) total hours for all other participants.
To view a list of the organizations that have approved the CEUs go to Basic Online Course CEUs.
What if I want to do more intensive tobacco treatment training?
We offer a 4 day in-person Tobacco Treatment Specialist (TTS) training. The training is designed to increase the skills of those who deliver moderate to intensive tobacco treatment services. Basic Skills for Working with Smokers is a prerequisite for that course. Please visit https://www.umassmed.edu/tobacco/training/ttscore/ to learn more about the TTS training.