Worcester is the largest city in central Massachusetts and the second largest city in New England. Due to its centralized position between Boston and Springfield, Worcester is known as the “Heart of the Commonwealth". The city is home to 7 colleges and universities (the College of the Holy Cross, Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Clark University, Assumption College, MCPHS University, Becker College, Quinsigamond Community College and Worcester State University). Residents at UMass live in many corners of the Worcester area, the Worcester suburbs (Shrewsbury, Westboro, etc), MetroWest, as well as commute from Boston. Worcester is also home to a thriving biotech industry.
In Your Free Time
UMass residents have many interests outside of radiology. Here is a list of some of the fun and exciting activities that our residents do during their free time:
- Boating, rowing, and kayaking on Lake Quinsigamond and the Blackstone River
- Hiking in the nearby Berkshires, and the Mid-State Trail
- Enjoying a variety of concerts, dance, and theater events at Mechanics Hall, the DCU center, Tuckerman Hall, and the Hanover Theater for the Performing Arts
- Worcester Art Museum, the second largest art museum in New England;
- Skiing/Snowboarding at nearby Wachusett Mountain as well as Vermont and NH ski areas
- Worcester Railers Hockey games or Worcester Bravehearts Baseball games
- Eating at various exceptional Worcester restaurants
- Enjoying time outdoors at the Tower Hill Botanical Gardens
Looking for a great way to de-stress?
Check out our fitness center!
Fun At Work
There are many social events that are organized by the Department. These events include:
Pawtucket Red Sox Resident/
Fellow Welcome Game
Every July, we celebrate the incoming of the new residents and fellows with a trip to a Pawtucket Red Sox game hosted by the Chairman of the Department.
Once a month, a journal club is held at a local restaurant, of the residents choice, and lead by a resident selected attending.
Wachusett Mountain Ski Trip
A new tradition began this year as a handful of our residents and faculty took a day trip to Wachuset Mountain for a day filled with fun and skiing.
Our Radiology Resident Holiday Party is a highlight of the year. Hosted by the program director at a local restaurant of the resident's choice.
Our Annual Graduation Dinner is preceded by the annual Edward H. Smith, MD lecture presented by an invited guest. This lecture is followed by a reception for the graduating residents/fellows and their families at the Tower Hill Botanical Gardens in Boylston, MA.