Article 14. Rights of Members of The Faculty in Academic Personnel Matters
Section 14.1 Faculty Rights. Policies, criteria, and procedural standards established herein and Additional policies established by the University of Massachusetts Medical School shall not infringe upon the following rights of faculty members in personnel matters:
- For personnel reviews, recommendations and decisions, the right and responsibility to present all materials which the faculty member believes will be essential to an adequate consideration of the case, and the opportunity to supplement the original presentation with additional relevant information pertaining to the period under review.
- The right to have access to information on the current needs and long-range plans of the department, school, campus and University.
- The right to have extra-departmental service contributions considered at the department level as well as at other levels of review, recommendation and decision.
- The right to be considered for tenure if given an appointment or a reappointment in the Tenure Track through the end of the probationary period.
- The right to equitable treatment in personnel matters so as to ensure generally consistent recognition to departmental faculty members whose chosen field, overall professional development, period of service on the campus, and quality of contributions, all taken as a whole, are judged to be approximately equal.
- The right to discuss his/her professional progress and any personnel matter of concern with his/her Department Chair (if any) and, if such discussions prove unsatisfactory, with the Dean of the school, the Senior Administrator with responsibility for Academic Affairs or the Chancellor.
- The right to be informed in a timely manner of the personnel recommendations made at the department or school level.
- For academically-salaried faculty, the right to notification of non-reappointment as specified in Section 10.7 and 10.8.
- The right to discuss reasons for a negative personnel decision at all appropriate administrative levels.
- The right to invoke grievance procedures as specified in university policies.
- Such faculty members shall serve at the discretion of the Department Chair (if any) and the Dean.
- Such faculty members shall have the following voting privileges and rights of participation in school and campus governance:
- At the departmental level in schools with departments, voting privileges and participation in departmental affairs shall be at the discretion of the Department Chair after consultation with the academically-salaried faculty members in the department.
- At the school level (in schools without departments) voting privileges and participation in school affairs shall be at the discretion of the Dean after consultation with the academically-salaried faculty members in the school.
- At the school level (in schools with departments) and at the campus level for all schools such faculty members shall be eligible to serve as voting members on any faculty committee as provided in the appropriate school and campus governance documents. Such faculty shall not be eligible to vote on school or campus policies requiring vote of the faculty-at-large, however.