MFA Enrollment Instructions
To enroll in Duo multi-factor authentication, please follow the steps below. Please note that all of the images on this page are examples, and explain what you will be doing at each step.
If you have already enrolled and wish to add a new device to use with Duo, or modify an existing one, you can visit the Duo self-service portal at http://i.umassmed.edu/MFAReg/.
There you will find instructions for adding or modifying devices and phone numbers that you use with Duo.
1. Visit http://i.umassmed.edu/MFAReg/. It is highly recommended that you do this from a computer, and not the mobile device that you will be enrolling with Duo.
2. You can now start the enrollment process by clicking the Start setup button. You will be prompted to provide the type of device you want to enroll for MFA: mobile phone, tablet, or landline. It is HIGHLY recommended that you use a mobile phone, as this option best supports the features offered by Duo.
3. On the next page, you will need to enter your phone number, confirm that it is correct, and confirm that you own the device by receiving a call or text message. You will then enter the verification code that you are given to continue to the next step. The number is for demonstration purposes only – please enter your own phone number.
4. Next, you will need to select the type of device you have. If you are using a phone that is not a smartphone, select ‘other’ and the setup will complete. If you have a smartphone, continue to the next step.
5. You will now be prompted to install the Duo app from your device’s application store (iTunes App Store, Google Play Store, Windows App Store, etc.). Search for “Duo Mobile” app and install. After the installation is complete, click on the “I have Duo Mobile Installed” button.
6. Upon installation of the Duo app, you will be given the option to add a device by scanning the QR code. Open the Duo Mobile app on your smartphone and click on the + sign in the upper right section of the app. This will activate your phone’s camera. Point your camera at the bar code to scan the code. (Do not scan the bar code in the image below).
7. Once you have scanned the bar code on your device, you should see the screen below, indicating success. If it does not, click the “Having Problems?” link to enter a code that will be sent to your phone instead. You have now finished enrolling your smartphone.
8. When adding a new device, it is defaulted to “Ask me to choose an authenticated method”. If you choose to automatically push or call, you won’t be able to select the option to remember your device when logging into Duo-enabled applications.
You may change this setting at any time in the self-service portal (or when logging into Duo-enabled applications) by selecting My Devices & Settings before completing multi-factor authentication:
You can modify your existing MFA settings or add new MFA devices by accessing either the DUO self-service portal or logging into a DUO protected application.
Upon login to either the self-service portal or application click on ‘My Settings & Devices’ on the left hand side of the screen. If you had set a default authentication method, you will receive the authentication via this default method (push/call, etc) – ignore that prompt and instead click on ‘My Settings & Devices’ on the left hand side:
Once you click on ‘My Settings & Devices’, select the authentication method to confirm your identity. You will see one of the following screens depending on the type of phone (landline or cell) you indicate.
Once authenticated, you can Add devices, Change device options and choose what happens when you log in (i.e. automatic push, call or allow you to choose):
9. You can now log into HR Direct using your UMass Medical School network ID and password.