Map a Printer
Mapping a printer is easy! Most network printers will have the "printer queue" name either taped or labeled onto it physically. The printer queue name is usually in this format: \\ummsprint01\PRINTERNAME
- Go to your Start menu in the bottom left corner.
- Select Devices and Printers from the menu.
- Select Add Printer then Add A Network Printer then The Printer Wasn’t Listed
- Check off Select Printer By Name.
- You may either enter the server it is located on ( \\servername ) and then browse to find the printer or enter the full path ( \\servername\printername ).
- Open Devices and Printers by clicking the Start button, and then, on the Start menu, clicking Devices and Printers.
- Click Add a printer.
- In the Add Printer wizard, click Add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer.
- In the list of available printers, select the one you want to use, and then click Next. More likely you will choose that the Printer Wasn’t Listed and then choose to select it by name. You may either enter the server it is located on ( \\servername ) and then browse to find the printer or enter the full path ( \\servername\printername ).
- If prompted, install the printer driver on your computer by clicking Install driver. If you're prompted for an administrator password you will need to contact the helpdesk for assistance at 5088568643.
- Complete the additional steps in the wizard, and then click Finish.
- Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
- Choose Print & Fax from the View menu.
- Click the + button to add a printer.
- Press the Control key while clicking the "Default" icon (or any other icon on the toolbar), then choose Customize Toolbar from the contextual menu that appears.
- Drag the Advanced (gear) icon to the toolbar.
- Click Done.
- Click the Advanced icon that was added to the toolbar.
- Choose Windows from the Type pop-up menu.
- In the URL field, type the printer's address in one of the following formats:
- In the Name field, type the name you would like to use for this printer in Mac OS X.
- Choose the appropriate PPD or printer driver from the "Print Using" pop-up menu.
- Click Add.