H-1B Immigration Packet

If a UMMS department will need to sponsor an employee in H1B status, it should forward the completed H-1B immigration packet to Immigration Services at least 60 days prior to the desired start date in the case of an H1B transfers, or 3-4 months in advance if a change of status from a different visa type is required. Please note the following:

  • All requested items must be completed. Incomplete forms or missing documentation may cause delays in the form issuance.
  • Please verify that the names on the forms be written exactly as they appear in the corresponding passports.
  • Scanned documents are acceptable with the exclusion of the faculty support letter which must be printed on letterhead and bear an original signature.

H-1B Immigration Packet Contents

  • H-1B Intake Form, Part 1: Request for Sponsorship (departmental information)  
  • H-1B Intake Form, Part 2: Request for Sponsorship (applicant information)
  • M.D. Statement (if applicable): Must be included in immigration packets for individuals holding a medical degree (M.D. or equivalent).
  • Processing fee: Department check for $460 payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security".
  • "Anti-fraud" fee (for initial H-1B petition at UMMS ONLY): Department check for $500 payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security". The fee applies to all H petitions for new employment. Petitions for extension with the same employer and/or amendment are exempt from the fee.

*Immigration Services cannot forward request or follow-up on check-issuance for individual departments.  However, please request that Accounts Payable notify Immigration Services once the check(s) are issued.  Back-up documentation for the “home” check(s) request to AP can be obtained from the USCIS website. Print the Form I-129 information for back-up (actual form not required) for both the $460.00 or $500.00 fees. If you are also requesting premium processing, print the Form I-907 information for back-up. The proper address is: U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, California Service Center, 24000 Avila Road, Room 2312, Laguna Niguel, CA 92677.

  • Evidence of highest degree/diploma required for the position: Must be in the form of an official diploma, OR an official letter of certification of award of degree from the registrar of the school conferring the degree, OR an official transcript clearly showing completion of degree.  If documents or diploma are not in English, they must be accompanied by a translation done by a qualified translator who can certify that the translation is complete and accurate, and explain how he/she is competent to do the translation. If the degree was obtained outside the United States or Canada, it may be necessary for you to obtain a credential evaluation.
  • Up-to-date curriculum vitae (resume)
  • Form(s) I-94, front and back: Required only for a scholar who is currently in the United States. This is the small white card issued upon entry to the United States and stapled into the passport. (Be sure the red stamp on the card is legible.)
  • Current or Previous visa documents (DS-2019, I-20, I-797, etc.)
  • Biographical information pages from passport (listing name & birth date for prospective J-1 (and dependents if applicable)
  • Department of State issued Visa Stamp
  • Waiver of two-year home residency requirment (if required)
  • Application packet for dependents: If the applicant is in the United States and has dependents who will apply for H-4 status, the dependents must complete Form I-539 and submit the required documents and fee.
  • Proof of continued employment (if applicable): H-1B applicants who are already in H-1B status with another employer must submit paycheck stubs from the most recent three months or other proof of employment.
  • Additional Credentials Required for ALL Clinical Residents ONLY:
    • ECFMG Certification [Not required for graduates of U.S. Medical Schools] 
    • USMLE, Steps 1, 2 & 3 [Not required for graduates of U.S. Medical Schools]
    • Massachusetts Medical License
  • Other Fees: These fees can be paid by either the applicant or by the department on behalf of the applicant. Acceptable forms of payment include either a personal check written by the applicant or a department check or money order payable to "U.S. Department of Homeland Security". If more than one fee applies, please submit separate checks. Please submit all checks to the ISSO.
    • $370 Dependent application fee. (see USCIS website for back-up documentation)
    • $1,225 Premium Processing fee (contact Immigration Services to find out if this fee is recommended)