Clinical & Population Health Research Admission Requirements
Typically, candidates have a master's degree in public health or a master’s degree in biostatistics, epidemiology, economics, or other discipline with quantitative training. Typically, students entering the PhD program have one year of graduate level biostatistics and one year of epidemiology or other research methods training. While no minimum grade point average is required, students applying for admission must have demonstrated superior academic performance. Experience in research settings is preferred.
Students with clinical degrees (e.g. PharmD, MD) may also be competitive for admission. Typically, such students should have demonstrated academic excellence and ability to successfully engage in quantitative research.
Prerequisites for Admission into the Clinical & Population Health Research Program
Satisfactory completion ("B" or higher) of introductory coursework in epidemiology and biostatistics is required of all students. Strong applicants without these courses may be considered for admission. Full matriculation will be conferred only when the prerequisite courses have been satisfactorily completed.
Application for Admission
The online application system is open in mid to late September each year. A complete application for admission includes:
- An official admission application through ApplyYourself
- A personal statement of two pages describing:
- educational expectations
- career aspirations
- research experience
- special qualifications or experience
- which faculty or research programs at UMMS you would like to engage with
- A current resume or CV
- Three letters of recommendation from individuals who are able to assess past academic performance, research experience and prospective success in doctoral-level work
- Transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate institutions attended*
- Foreign applicants must also submit TOEFL scores*
- An application fee of $80
*Applicants are required to upload transcripts (official or unofficial) within the application process. GRE (not required) and TOEFL (or IELTS) scores should be entered on the application. Official transcripts and score reports are required only if and when applicants matriculate as students.