Our Application Process
Thank you for your interest in the UMass Fitchburg Family Medicine Residency. Applicants wishing to be considered for an interview need to submit the application materials as listed below:
• ERAS (Electronic Residency Application System) application
• Graduate of an accredited medical school in the United States or Canada
• Three or more letters of reference
• Passing score on USMLE 1 or COMLEX 1. Passing scores on USMLE 2 or
COMLEX 2 and CSA required before applicant is offered a position.
• Demonstrated interest in the discipline of family medicine
• Demonstrated interest in care for the underserved and community service
• Language skills relevant to our community population
(English, Spanish, Portuguese)
• Medical school graduation within the last 5 years
Requirements for International Graduates
• Certification by ECFMG
• Willingness for those needing a visa to accept J-1 Visa
• Minimum of 6 months of prior U.S. or equivalent clinical experience with
significant patient care responsibility to include:
Direct patient contact
Development of differential diagnoses
Identification of relevant clinical findings
Formulation of management plans
Observerships/externships which do not include the above
cannot be accepted
• Unsolicited applications by mail or e-mail will negatively impact
the consideration of candidates
• Candidates must meet licensing requirementsin the state of
• Successful candidates must be able to perform all duties and
responsibilities of a resident in family medicine and meet
the requirements and standards of the University of
Massachusetts Medical School and the UMass Memorial
Medical Center Credentialing Committee.
Interviews are scheduled by invitation from November through January. Group visits on Wednesdays allow candidates to learn from the inquiries of others and provide the opportunity to have numerous team members dedicate time for your visit.
NRMP policy requires that each training program provide complete and accurate information to interviewees, including a sample contract and the institution's policies on visa status and eligibility for appointment to a residency or fellowship position, as applicable. Please find additional information here.