Staying Active: The Importance of Exercise With Diabetes
Exercise is an important part of managing your diabetes. Physical activity can help your body's insulin work better, increase your metabolism, help you lose or maintain weight, provide energy, decrease stress and offers a number of other health benefits.
- Find an activity you enjoy (walking, riding a bike, hiking, etc))
- Schedule excercise into your daily routine (10 minute walk after lunch, etc)
- Make it enjoyable by listening to music and/or exercising with a friend
- Start slowly. 5 to 10 minutes a day at first. Work your way to 30 minutes of physical activity each day
- The recommended exercise amount is 150 minutes per week. Break it up to work around your schedule.
- If you are over the age of 40 and have not exercised before, consult a physician first
Getting started with an activity plan
The many benefits of staying active with diabetes
How Active Should You Be?