Certificate Program in Integrated Care Management
To develop general skills at engaging patients, promoting their activation to improve their own health, and general medical and behavioral health skills to be able to connect them to appropriate services, to address questions, to teach healthy living and support patient-centered treatment plans.
About Our Program
Care Management, the active outreach to engage patients/clients, is particularly applicable in situations where the engagement between the person and the health system is likely to fail: transitions of care, barriers to access, poor fit between the person’s social skills or medical understanding and the level of either required to maintain health or to access care. No matter where a practice might be on the spectrum of integrating behavioral health and primary care, it is clear that those individuals who provide care management and care coordination are lynchpins for success. Any member of the care team can provide these important services, but having dedicated professional care managers in a Patient-Centered Medical Home is rapidly becoming the goal toward which successful practices are working.
When the system is more focused on their individual needs, patients are more likely to be engaged in improving their own health. Healthcare, and primary care in particular, is increasingly aware of the importance of population management. Patient Registries can provide data about the care of individuals struggling with diabetes, depression, cardiac disease, asthma and many more chronic health conditions. Care Managers who understand how to work with registries and care plans can be a lifeline for people coping with chronic illnesses that put their health and/or social functioning at risk.
Chronic illnesses are sometimes defined as "physical" like diabetes, or "mental" like schizophrenia and substance abuse, but all of these can be considered "chronic illnesses". And what we are learning is that these illnesses are best treated by care teams in primary care. Expertise in both the healthcare world and the mental health world is necessary to do the job in Integrated Primary Care. Care Managers and Care Coordinators should understand the impact of the social determinants of health on patients and know how to find resources to help address disparities and help patients use services.
CIPC has deep experience in training professionals for work in integrated care. UMass Medical School and our clinical partner, UMass Memorial Healthcare are known for expertise in primary care, and our faculty are also active practitioners. We are fortunate to be a part of a nation-wide research study on Behavioral Health Integration funded by PCORI and headed by the University of Vermont. This financial support has allowed us to completely revamp our Care Management course. Recognizing that care coordinators, case managers, and care managers can come to that role from a variety of backgrounds, we have designed a curriculum with a core of essential content and then we allow participants to choose the topics that will best fill gaps in their individual knowledge and skills. The course is online and is made up of e-learning modules, so once the course opens, the content can be accessed at any time. Registration is now open for this online course.
Program and payment information
- The course is given four times each year - twice in the Fall and twice in the Spring semesters
- 20 pre-recorded e-learning modules are divided into four areas: Core Content, Special Populations, Bio-Medical, and Psychosocial that can be watched at any time and at your own pace
- Completion of 15 modules is required for the Certificate
- Participants have 14-16 weeks to complete requirements for CEs, but materials can be accessed for a full year
- Participants receive invitations to optional monthly live, online Q&A sessions with UMass faculty
- Who should enroll? - anyone who works or would like to work in the expanding field of Patient Care Management (Nurses, Social Workers, Medical Assistants, etc.)
- Continuing Education credits available - click here for details
- Refund Policy - click here for details
- We offer discounts and subscriptions for groups
- Payment can be made with a credit card, check, or institutional PO