- Are you sometimes overwhelmed by a sense of worry, panic, or danger?
- Are you distracted by powerful and recurring thoughts?
- Are you experiencing problems with restlessness, tension, or insomnia?
- Could you be addicted to stress or anxiety?
Stress and anxiety follow a habit loop. Specific triggers, behaviors, and rewards support this loop when we get anxious. Our brains try to tap into “thinking/fix it” mode, yet inadvertently trip us up, leading to out-of-control worry -- or even panic attacks.
It's no wonder that almost 40 million Americans are affected by anxiety on a regular basis.
Unwinding Anxiety (SR-230) integrates mindful practices with the science behind the mind’s habit loop. As part of the mindfulness training, you will learn the scientific basis of how we form distracting thoughts that can lead to overwhelming worry and panic, and how we can use this knowledge to change them. You will also learn concrete mindfulness skills to help you become more aware of and gain control over your anxiety, and how to use them on your own time, at your convenience and pace.
- How we form habits
- How to work with rumination or recurring thoughts
- How to use mindfulness when you become anxious or worried
- Goals and staying on track when you experience difficulties
- Coping with triggers
- Working with difficult emotions
- Mindfulness skills
- How mindfulness works
- Enrollment in Unwinding Anxiety is based on your using using the Unwinding Anxiety® app on your mobile device, for short, guided daily mindfulness trainings throughout the week.
- Group-Based Learning and Support - Once a week you will meet in-person at the Center for Mindfulness in a facilitated session with a group of peers to practice, discuss challenges and celebrate learnings and outcomes. You may attend class every week or as your schedule allows.
- Through your class enrollment and the Unwinding Anxiety® app, you have access to an online community for continued support and dialogue.
Beginning July 11, 2018: Meets every Wednesday 5:30 - 7:00pm
(No class meeting on July 18, 2018)
iPhone or Android smartphone required for this course
Join at any time for this rolling-admissions, open-ended program
Tuition: $25/month (cancel any time)
Smartphone app: $29.99/mo, or $209.99/annually
Classes held at CFM, 222 Maple Ave, Shrewsbury, MA - Directions
- You will be re-directed to our online registration system where you will create a username and password
- You will be sent an email to confirm your account - you must reply to this email to confirm
- Return to the registration page and log in
- This course is listed under Special Programs at the bottom of the list - 'Areas of Learning'
App-based mindfulness training and practice
Dr. Judson Brewer, world-renowned expert on addiction has developed Unwinding Anxiety®, an app that delivers mindfulness training right at your fingertips. The digital therapeutic app delivers over 30 short video modules, along with in-the-moment exercises, allowing you to build your skills one moment at a time. By taking 10 minutes each day to complete a new lesson, you will learn how to put it into practice throughout the day in manageable, bite-sized pieces. Participants will need to have an iPhone or Android smartphone to participate in Unwinding Anxiety.
You can click here for a free trial of the Unwinding Anxiety® app.
Group-based learning & support
Weekly Unwinding Anxiety classes occur in-person at the Center for Mindfulness, this is not an online class. Studies have shown that group-based learning and support helps change habits. The Unwinding Anxiety group meets weekly at the Center for Mindfulness in Shrewsbury, MA. Each session provides hands-on mindfulness practices, as well as expert and peer support. You will combine mindfulness skills training with the Unwinding Anxiety® app to transform your behavior and relationship to anxiety.