Melissa Tefft, LICSW
Master of Social Work, University of Connecticut, 1987
BA, Major Psychology, Ohio State University, 1972
Focus & Interests
- Body/Mind Wellness and Chronic Illness
- Mindfulness in Education
- Mindfulness and EMDR in Healing
Melissa has had a longstanding interest in mind/body approaches to meeting the challenges of everyday living. She has woven Mindfulness into her full time psychotherapy career with children, adolescents, adults and groups for over 30 years.
Melissa began meditation practice in 1991 and was introduced to MBSR in 1994 when she completed the Professional Training in Mindfulness at Omega, followed by Practicum and her participation in the first TDI at The Center for Mindfulness in 1997. She has been teaching MBSR and variations of Mindfulness workshops in the community, schools, and hospitals in her area since then. She is currently teaching MBSR in the community and at the Center for Mindfulness in Society, Medicine, and Health Care.
- MBSR Teacher, Center for Mindfulness, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 2015
- Mindfulness Teacher for Elementary School Teachers, Students, and Parents, Jackson Street School, Northampton, MA 2013, 2014
- Co-Founder and Co-facilitator, Present Moment Mindfulness, Northampton, MA, 2005- Present
- Psychotherapist, Private Practice, with a focus on Mindfulness and EMDR, Northampton, MA, 2000- Present
- Instructor in Mindfulness Based Stress Reduction and Psycho-social group leader, Change of Heart Program, Bay State Medical Center Cardiac Rehabilitation, Springfield, MA, 1998-2006
- MBSR Instructor and Psychotherapist, Holyoke Hospital, Holyoke, MA, 1997-2002
- From 1983 to 1997 Melissa had the opportunity to practice psychotherapy with individuals, families, and groups in a variety of clinics, hospital settings and Hospice, working with every age of our population.