Leslie Smith Frank, PA
Certified Teacher, MBSR
Physician Assistant (PA) Certification/Masters Equivalent, Community College of Allegheny County, 1985
BS, Biology, Waynesburg University, 1977
Focus & Interests
- Integrative Healthcare
- Mindful Eating
- Medical Professional Resilience
- Mindfulness in Higher Education, Elementary and Secondary Schools
Since beginning a meditation practice in 1993, Leslie discovered that mindful awareness made a vital difference in how she showed up for work and home life. She began her own teacher training in 1998 at the Center for Mindfulness. Over her 25 year career as a Physician Assistant, it became clear that many patients experience pain and difficulty due to mental and emotional stress. Having personally experienced the benefit of consistent mindfulness practice, Leslie made a career transition to teaching mindfulness full time in 2009.
She teaches MBSR and Eat for Life, a mindfulness-based intuitive eating course, through the Mindful Awareness Practice Center, in Western Massachusetts, which she founded in 2009. At Bay Path University, she taught Stress Management, which embedded MBSR into the undergraduate course. Based on the positive reception of Stress Management, the university invited Leslie to design another mindfulness-based course. She developed online Mindful Eating, which drew on her training in Mindfulness-based Eating Awareness Training. She has completed trainings in three curricula for school age students, including Mindful Schools, Mindfulness in Schools, and Learning to Breathe.
Current popular interest in mindfulness brings Leslie frequent invitations to offer talks and presentations to businesses, schools, libraries, and civic organizations.
Throughout her years of mindfulness practice, generous companions and wise teachers, including four children, a grandchild and her husband, have supported and informed her growth and development.
- MBSR Teacher, Center for Mindfulness, University of Massachusetts Medical School, 2015 - present
- Adjunct Professor of Liberal Arts at Bay Path University, 2010 - present
- Founder and MBSR Teacher, Mindful Awareness Practice Center, Longmeadow, MA, 2009-present
- Mindfulness Teacher, Chicopee High School,Chicopee, MA - NIH grant-based pilot study, 2014
- Mindfulness Teacher, Northampton Public Schools, community grant-based initiative to train teachers and then elementary students in the Mindful Schools curriculum, 2013-2014
- Principal Investigator, Baystate Health System, design and implementation - randomized clinical trial of Therapeutic Touch. Rays of Hope grant recipient, 2000-2002
- Physician Assistant, neurosurgery, orthopedic surgery, occupational medicine and physical medicine, 1985-2009
Frank, Leslie Smith, Frank JL, March D, Makari-Judson G, Barham RB, Mertens WC. Does therapeutic touch ease the discomfort or distress of patients undergoing stereotactic core breast biopsy? A randomized clinical trial. Pain Med 2007; 8:419-24
Comprehensive Cancer Care Symposium, Center for Mind-Body Medicine, Washington, DC, April 10, 2003, and the Annual Meeting of the American Society of Clinical Oncology, Chicago, IL, May 31-June 3, 2003