For the latest COVID-19 campus news and resources, visit

Search Close Search
Search Close Search
Page Menu

Clinical Research Agreements

To help investigators, departments and external collaborators identify appropriate points of contact for research-related agreements, see below:

Agreement Type / Funding Mechanism    
Business Associate Agreements  

Information about management of Business Association Agreement requests can be found here.

If asked by a funder or collaborator to execute a Business Association Agreement, contact:
Commonwealth Medicine's Office of Compliance and Review (with a cc to James G. Healy, JD, Associate Vice Chancellor for Management)

For guidance and assistance:
Email: and
Telephone: 508-856-6547 and 508-856-6432

Certificates of Confidentiality (CoC)  

Execution of Certificates of Confidentiality is conducted by the Institutional Official and designee, the Organizational Official and is supported by the UMass Center for Clinical and Translational Science (UMCCTS).

Certificate of Confidentiality Template

Please direct requests for Certificates of Confidentiality to: with the subject line: Certificate of Confidentiality Request.

If you are unsure if you require a Certificate of Confidentiality or require additional information, please go to: Clinical Research Funding Agreements

Data Use Agreement (PHI/HIPAA)   UMCCTS Office of Clinical Research
  • Industry-sponsored Clinical Trial Agreements (CTAs)
  • Investigator-initiated, industry-sponsored clinical research
  • Federal flowdown from industry
  • Inbound federal subcontracts in which UMMS was not part of the original proposal
  • Confidential Disclosure Agreements (CDAs) for human/clinical research
  • All other non-industry funded awards for clinical research
  UMCCTS Office of Clinical Research
  • Federal grants and awards
  • Outbound federal subcontracts
  • Inbound federal subcontracts where UMMS was part of the original proposal
  • Industry-funded basic research and
  • Non-industry funded awards requiring institutional letter of support or commitment at time of application
  UMMS Research Funding Services
Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs)   UMMS Office of Technology Management, with cc to Office of Clinical Research