Request for Trainee Applications - Transdisciplinary Training in Cardiovascular Research (T32)
The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) has a cardiovascular T32 training grant entitled "Transdisciplinary Training in Cardiovascular Research" under the direction and senior leadership of Drs. Catarina Kiefe and John Keaney. The program represents a wonderful opportunity for the institution to promote the entire spectrum (T0 – T2+) of cardiovascular research on the UMMS campus. A call has been issued to request applications from trainees who wish to become part of this exciting program at the postdoctoral level. New trainees will join 4 other current trainees in the program.
Eligibility: Please see http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/PA-14-015.html
Applicants must show evidence of high academic performance in the sciences and commitment to a career as an independent researcher. Postdoctoral candidates must have received a PhD, MD, DO, DC, DDS, DVM, OD, DPM, ScD, DrPH, DNSc, PharmD, PsyD, or equivalent doctoral degree from an accredited domestic or foreign institution. By the time of the award, the individual must be a citizen or a non-citizen national of the United States or have been lawfully admitted for permanent residence (i.e., possess a currently valid Permanent Resident Card USCIS Form I-551, or other legal verification of such status). This fellowship program may not be used to support the clinical years of residency training. However, these awards are appropriate for the research fellowship years of a residency program. Research clinicians must devote full-time to their proposed research training and confine clinical duties to those activities that are part of the research training program.
Duration of Support: Funding for two years of support provided. Trainees may apply for an additional year.
Amount of Support: Based upon the NIH stipend schedule as outlined in the link below, faculty sponsors may, at their discretion and with department and institutional approval, supplement the NIH stipend, but only from a non-federal, non-sponsored funding source.
How to Apply:
Postdoctoral candidates should submit the following sections from a standard NIH F32 application with the following page limits (parentheses).
- Title page with title, applicant’s name, PI name, sponsor name (if applicable), # previous years of NIH fellowship support, and 300 word abstract
- Research training plan (2 pages)
- Specific Aims (1 page)
- Research strategy (2 pages )
- Respective contributions (if applicable - 0.5 page)
- Selection of sponsor (if applicable - 0.5 page)
- Goals for training and career (1 page)
- Doctoral dissertation and research experience (if applicable - 1 page)
- Biosketch of applicant and sponsor(s) (if applicable) . (NIH guidelines, 4 pages each)
- 2 Letters of reference not from sponsor (1 should be from thesis advisor, if applicable)
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis by submitting materials to: Richard.McManus@umassmed.edu