How many first-year fellowship positions does UMass have?
Does UMass participate in the National Resident Matching Program (NRMP)
May I send my application directly to UMass?
No. All applications must be directed through ERAS for consideration.
What are the requirements for consideration?
- ERAS Application
- Completion of an ACGME-certified internal medicine residency prior to starting fellowship
- USMLE transcript (steps 1, 2 and 3)
- Three letters of recommendation, one of which must be from the program director of the internal medicine residency
- Personal statement
- Ability to obtain a Massachusetts license to practice medicine
Is there a minimum board score for applicants to be considered?
While there is no absolute cutoff for consideration, applicants with low scores are unlikely to be granted interviews unless other aspects of their applications are unusually impressive.
Do you accept applicants who are on H and J visas?
Applicants who are currently on H or J visas are welcome to apply. However, we do not initiate the visa application process for those who do not already have a visa.
What is the deadline for applications?
All application materials must be received by August 1st.
How many people do you interview?
We receive approximately 500 applications and extend interview invitations to approximately 60 applicants annually.
What is the timeline of application processing and interviews?
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Most invitations to interview are sent by mid-August. We keep a small number of applicants on a waiting list in the event of cancellations. Interviews occur in September and October.
Are there options for further clinical training at UMass?
UMass has the following opportunities for further clinical training:
- One-year, ACGME-accredited fellowship in interventional cardiology
- Two-year, ACGME-accredited fellowship in electrophysiology
- One-year, non-ACGME-accredited fellowship in structural heart disease
Whom may I contact for more information?
Ms. Raechel Strom
Coordinator, Cardiology Fellowship Training Programs
University of Massachusetts Medical School
55 Lake Avenue North
Worcester, MA 01655
Phone: (508) 856-3064