Relevant Publications from the Center
1. Pavletic AC, Burke L, Druker S, Osganian S, Gorak D, Pbert L. A one-on-one relationship with the school nurse can have an impact on student smoking behavior. Journal of School Nursing (in press).
2. Muramoto ML, McIntosh S, Pbert L, Backinger CL, Moolchan E, McDonald P, Matthews E, Ossip-Klein D. Recruitment and retention of adolescent smokers into smoking cessation trials. Nicotine & Tobacco Research (in press).
3. Pbert L, Flint AJ, Fletcher KE, Young MH, Druker S, DiFranza, J. Effect of a Pediatric Practice-Based Smoking Prevention and Cessation Intervention for Adolescents: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Pediatrics 2008;121(4):e738-e747.
4. Pbert L, Joliceour D, Reed G, Gammon WL. An evaluation of tobacco treatment specialist counseling performance using standardized patient interviews. Nicotine & Tobacco Research. 2007;9(1):119-128.
5. Pbert, LA, & Ockene, JK: Stimulants and Related Drugs: Tobacco. In: Gabbard's Treatments of Psychiatric Disorders, Fourth Edition (TPD-IV). G.O. Gabbard (Ed.). Washington, DC: American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. 2007; Chapter16:281-294.
6. DiFranza JR, Savageau JA, Fletcher KE, O’Loughlin J, Pbert L, Ockene JK, McNeill AD, Hazelton J, Friedman K, Dussault G, Wood C, Wellman RJ. Susceptibility to nicotine dependence: The development and assessment of nicotine dependence in youth-2. Pediatrics 2007;120:e974-e983.
7. DiFranza JR, Savageau JA, Fletcher KE, O’Loughlin J, Pbert L, Ockene JK, McNeill AD, Hazelton J, Friedman K, Dussault G, Wood C, Wellman RJ. Symptoms of tobacco dependence appear with brief intermittent use: The development and assessment of nicotine dependence in youth-2 study. Pediatrics. 2007;161(7):704-710.
8. Pbert L, Osganian V, Gorak D, Druker S, Reed G, O’Neil K, Sheetz A. A school-nurse delivered tobacco cessation intervention: A randomized controlled trial. Preventive Medicine 2006;43(4):312-320.
9. Pbert L, Fletcher KE, Young MH, Druker S, Flint AJ. Smoking prevention and cessation intervention delivery by pediatric providers as assessed by patient exit interviews. Pediatrics 2006;118(3):e810-824.
10. Wellman RJ, DiFranza JR, Pbert L, Fletcher KE, Flint A, Young MH, Druker S. A comparison of the psychometric properties of the hooked on nicotine checklist and the modified fagerstrom tolerance questionnaire. Addictive Behaviors 2006;31(3):486-495.
11. Ma Y, Pbert L, Goins KV, Ockene JK. Predictors of smoking cessation in pregnancy and maintenance postpartum in low-income women. Maternal and Child Health Journal 2005;1-10.
12. Winickoff JP, Berkowitz AB, Brooks K, Tanski SE, Geller A, Thompson C, Lando HA, Curry S, Muramoto M, Prokhorov AV, Best D, Weitzman M, Pbert L for the Tobacco Consortium, Center for Child Health Research of the American Academy of Pediatrics. State of the art interventions for office-based parental tobacco control. Pediatrics. 2005;115:750-760.
13. Zapka JG, White MJ, Reed G, Ockene JK, List E, Pbert L, Jolicoeur D, Reiff-Hekking S. Organizational systems to support publicly-funded tobacco treatment services. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2005;28(4):338-345.
14. Pbert L, Ewy B, Jolicoeur D, Rigotti N. Smoking cessation approaches for primary care. Medscape General Medicine September 28, 2004. Available at: http://www.medscape.com/viewprogram/3468.
15. Zapka J, Goins KV, Pbert L, Ockene JK. Translating efficacy research to effectiveness studies in practice: Lessons from research to promote smoking cessation in community health centers. Health Promotion Practice. 2004;5(3):245-255.
16. Pbert L, Ockene JK, Zapka J, Ma Y, Goins KV, Oncken C, Stoddard AM. A community health center smoking-cessation intervention for pregnant and postpartum women. American Journal of Preventive Medicine. 2004;26(5):377-385.
17. Pbert L, Ockene JK, Reiff-Hekking S. Tobacco. In: Galanter M, Kleber H (Eds.). American Psychiatric Publishing Text Book of Substance Abuse Treatment, 3rd Edition. 2004; Chapter 19:217-234.
18. Pbert L, Luckmann R, Ockene JK. Smoking cessation treatment in the primary care setting. In: Haas L (Ed.). The Handbook of Primary Care Psychology. New York, Oxford University Press. 2004; Chapter 38:527-550.
19. Ockene JK, Pbert L. Treatment for smoking and nicotine dependence. In: Anderson, NB (Ed.). Encyclopedia of Health & Behavior, SAGE Publications. 2004; Volume 2:737-743.
20. Pbert L. Healthcare provider training in tobacco treatment: Building competency. The American Journal of the Medical Sciences. 2003;326(4):242-247.
21. Pbert L, Moolchan E, Muramoto M, Winickoff J, Curry S, Lando H, Ossip-Klein D, Prokhorov, AV, DiFranza J, Klein J. The state of office-based interventions for youth tobacco use. Pediatrics. 2003;111:e650-e660.
22. Pbert L, Vuckovic N, Ockene JK, Hollis J. Developing and testing new smoking measures for the Health Plan Employer Data and Information Set (HEDIS). Medical Care 2003;41(4):550-559.
23. Winickoff JP, Pbert L, Klein JD, Lando HA, Caroll BC, Mermelstein R, Molchan ET, Prokhorov AV, Ossip-Klein D. Youth tobacco control research and activities in the United States: The current landscape. Nicotine and Tobacco Research. 2003;5(4):435-454.
24. Ellerbeck EF, Choi WS, McCarter K, Jolicoeur DG, Greiner A, Ahluwalia JS. Impact of patient characteristics on physician’s smoking cessation strategies. Preventive Medicine. 2003;36(4):464-470.
25. Jolicoeur DG, Richter KP, Ahluwalia JS, Mosier MC, Resnicow K. Smoking cessation Smoking reduction, and delayed quitting among smokers given nicotine patches and a self-help pamphlet. Substance Abuse. 2003;24(2):101-106.
26. Ockene JK, Ma Y, Zapka J, Pbert L, Goins KV, Stoddard AM. Spontaneous cessation of smoking and alcohol use among low-income pregnant women. American Journal of Preventive Medicine 2002;23(3):150-159.
27. Bonollo DP, Zapka JG, Stoddard AM, Ma Y, Pbert L, Ockene JK. Treating nicotine dependence during pregnancy and postpartum: Understanding clinician knowledge and performance. Patient Education and Counseling 2002;48:265-274.
28. Jolicoeur DG, Ahluwalia JS, Richter KP, Mosier M, Harris KJ, Gibson C, Moranetz CA. The use of free nicotine patches with minimal intervention. Preventive Medicine. 2002;30:504-512.
29. Pbert L, Reiff S, Ockene JK. Nicotine withdrawal and dependence. In: Gabbard GO, Treatment of Psychiatric Disorders, Third Edition, American Psychiatric Press, Inc. 2001;Volume 1:759-779.
30. Ellerbeck EF, Ahluwalia JS, Jolicoeur DG, Gladden J, Mosier MC. Direct observation of smoking cessation activities in primary care practice. Journal of Family Practice. 2001;50(8):688-693.
31. Pbert L, Ockene JK, Ewy BM, Leicher ES, Warner D. Development of a statewide tobacco-treatment specialist training and certification programme for Massachusetts. Tobacco Control 2000;9:372-381.
32. Oncken CA, Pbert L, Ockene JK, Zapka J, Stoddard A. Nicotine replacement prescription practices of obstetric and pediatric clinicians. Obstetrics and Gynecology 2000;96(2):261-265.
33. Zapka JG, Pbert L, Stoddard A, b Goins KV, Bonollo D. Smoking cessation counseling with pregnant and postpartum women: A survey of community health center providers. American Journal of Public Health 2000;90(1):78-84.
34. Pbert L, Adams A, Quirk M, Hebert JR, Ockene JK, Luippold RS. The patient exit interview as an assessment of physician-delivered smoking intervention: A validation study. Health Psychology 1999;18(2):183-188.
35. Ockene J, Adams A, Pbert LA, Luippold R, Hebert JR, Quirk M, Kalan K. The Physician-Delivered Smoking Intervention Project: Factors that determine how much the physician intervenes with smokers. Journal of General Intern Medicine 1994;9:379-384.
36. Ockene JK, Kristeller J, Pbert L, Hebert JR, Luippold R, Goldberg RJ, Landon J, Kalan K. The physician-delivered smoking intervention project: Can short-term interventions produce long-term effects for a general outpatient population? Health Psychology 1994;13(3):278-281.
37. Daskalakis C, Goldberg RJ, Ockene JK, Kalan K, Hosmer DW Jr, Pbert L. Comparison of physician and patient responses to an exit interview following the delivery of smoking cessation interventions. Academic Medicine 1993;68(2):168-170.