Shimul A. Shah, MD
Academic Role: Assistant Professor of Surgery, Organ Transplantation
Faculty Appointment(s): Department of Surgery
Division: Organ Transplantation
Research Office: Department of Surgery, UMass Medical School, S6-432
Phone/ Fax: (508) 334- 2023/ (508) 856- 1102
Training- Clinical Interests and Research- Publications- Awards and Honors
1. Training :
General Surgery: Brigham and Women's Hospital
Multi- Organ Transplantation and Hepatobiliary Surgery: Toronto General Hospital and Hospital for Sick Kids
2. Clinical Interests and Research:
- Liver surgery, hepatocellular carcinoma, transplantation, biliary disorders, minimally invasive liver surgery
- Disparities in utilization for care in hepatocellular carcinoma
Volume standards for hospitalizations for hepatobiliary diseases
Assessment of surgeon experience and proficiency in complex surgical procedures
Socioeconomic status on volume patterns in liver and pancreatic surgery
Back to Top
3. Awards and Honors
- 2008 Best Doctors in America Award
- 2008 American Society of Transplant Surgeons Vanguard Award
- 2006 International Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Association Young Investigator Award - Transplantation
- 2006 American Society of Transplant Surgeons - Astellas Faculty Career Development Award
- 2005 Paddy Lewis Teaching Award – Toronto General Hospital
- 2004 Francis D. Moore Teaching Award – Brigham and Women’s Hospital
- 2004 Harvard Medical School Resident Teaching Award – Chief Resident
- 2002 Harvard Medical School Resident Teaching Award – Senior Resident
- 2001 Society for Surgery of Alimentary Tract / Ross Research Travel Award
- 2001 Society of University Surgeons Distinguished Research Award
- 2001 Americas Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary Congress Young Investigator Award
- 2000 New England Cancer Society Resident Research Award
- 2000 Society for Surgery of Alimentary Tract / Ross Research Travel Award
- 1999 Association for Academic Surgery – US Surgical Research Fellowship
- 1997 Hobart Amory Hare Memorial Medical Honor Society
- 1994 NIH Research Scholar Fellowship
- 1993 Alpha Phi Delta Honor Society
- 1993 Dean’s List – Pennsylvania State University
Back to Top
- Cheong N, Okayasu R, Shah SA, Ganguly T., Mammen P. and Iliakis G: In Vitro Rejoining of Double Strand Breaks in Cellular DNA by Factors Present in Extracts of HeLa Cells. International Journal of Radiation Biology 69:655-677, 1996.
- Iliakis G., Ganguly T., Pantelias G., Cheong N., Okayasu R., Shah SA, Nederostek D., and Nishimoto T: The Role of Alterations in Chromatin Conformation in DNA Double Strand Break Repair and Cellular Radiosensitivity. International Journal of Radiation Biology 70:623-629, 1997.
- Blair S, Shah SA, Tamim W, Quinlan R, and Swanson R: Surgical Resection Improves Survival in the Treatment of Early Gastric Lymphomas. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery 2000; 4:304-309.
- Ricciardi R, Chari RS, Schaffer BK, Kim RD, Shah SA, Potter MW, Quarfordt SH, and Meyers WC: Ischemia Preconditioning Protects the Cold-Preserved Liver Graft Through a Tyrosine Kinase-Dependent Mechanism. Owen H. Wangensteen Surgical Forum 86th Annual Clinical Congress 2000, Volume LI. 2000; LI: 329-330.
- Claytor RB, Li JM, Shah SA, Harland RC, Rohrer MJ: Simvastatin induces apoptosis in proliferating Human Saphenous Vein Endothelial Cells Through PARP Cleavage. Owen H. Wangensteen Surgical Forum 86th Annual Clinical Congress 2000, Volume LI. 2000; LI: 362-363.
- Potter MW, Shah SA, McEnany PM, Chari RS, and Callery MP. A Critical Appraisal of Laparoscopic Staging in Hepatobiliary and Pancreatic Malignancy. Surgical Oncology 2000; 9:103-110.
- Potter MW, Shah SA, Elbirt KK, and Callery MP. Endotoxin (LPS) stimulates 4E-BP1/PHAS-I in Macrophages. Journal of Surgical Research 2001; 97:54-59.
- Ricciardi R, Schaffer BK, Shah SA, Quarfordt SH, Banner BF, Wheeler SM, Donohue SE, Chari RS, and Meyers WC. Bosentan, An Endothelin Receptor Anatagonist, Augments Graft Function By Reducing Graft Circulatory Impairment Following Ischemia Reperfusion. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery 2001; 5:322-329.
- Shah SA, Potter MW, Ricciardi R, Perugini RA, and Callery MP. FRAP-p70s6K Signaling is Required for Pancreatic Cancer Cell Proliferation. Journal of Surgical Research 2001; 97:123-130.
- Ricciardi R, Meyers WC, Kim RD, Schaffer BK, Shah SA, Wheeler SM, Donohue SE, Sheth KR, Callery MP, and Chari RS. Protein Kinase C Inhibition Abrogates Hepatic Ischemic Preconditioning Responses. Journal of Surgical Research 2001; 97:144-149.
- Shah SA, Potter MW, McDade TP, Ricciardi R, Perugini RA, Elliot PJ, Adams J, and Callery MP. 26S Proteasome Inhibition Induces Apoptosis and Limits Growth of Human Pancreatic Cancer. Journal of Cellular Biochemistry 2001; 82: 110-122.
- Shah SA, Potter MW, Hedeshian MH, Kim RD, Chari RS, and Callery MP. PI-3’Kinase and NF-kB Cross-signaling in human pancreatic cancer cells. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery 2001; 5: 603-614.
- Ricciardi R, Schaffer BK, Kim RD, Shah SA, Donohue SE, Wheeler SM, Quarfordt SH, Callery MP, Meyers WC, and Chari RS. The Protective Effects of Ischemic Preconditioning on the Cold Preserved Liver Are Tyrosine Kinase Dependent. Transplantation February 2001; 72: 406-412.
- Ricciardi R, Shah SA, Schaffer BK, Kim RD, Quarfordt SH, Callery MP, Meyers WC, and Chari RS. Cell Signaling in Hepatic Ischemic Preconditioning. Owen H. Wangensteen Surgical Forum 86th Annual Clinical Congress 2000, Volume LI. 2001; LII: 30-34.
- Shah SA, Potter MW, and Callery MP. Ubiquitin Proteasome Pathway: Implications and Advances in Cancer Therapy. Surgical Oncology 2001; 10: 43-52.
- Shah SA, Potter MW, and Callery MP. Ubiquitin Proteasome Inhibition and Cancer Therapy. Surgery 2002; 131: 595-600.
- Ricciardi R, Shah SA, Wheeler SM, Quarfordt SH, Callery MP, Meyers WC and Chari RS. Regulation of NF-kB in Hepatic Ischemic Preconditioning. Journal of American College of Surgeons 2002; 195: 319-326.
- Shah SA, Cima RR, Benoit E, Breen EL and Bleday R. Rectal complications after prostate brachytherapy. Diseases of Colon and Rectum 2004; 47: 1487-1492.
- Shah SA, Mery CM and Zinner MJ. Small bowel varices from neuroendocrine tumor of the pancreas. Journal of GastroIntestinal Surgery 2005; 9: 912-914.
- Shah SA, Grant DR, Greig PD, McGilvray ID, Adcock LD, Girgrah N, Wong P, Kim RD, Smith R, Lilly LB, Levy GA and Cattral MS. Analysis and outcomes of right lobe living-donor hepatectomy in 101 consecutive patients. American Journal of Transplantation 2005; 5: 2764-9.
- Kim RD, Kundhal PS, McGilvray ID, Cattral MS, Shah SA, Taylor BR, Langer B, Grant DR, Zogopoulos G, Greig PD, Gallinger S. Predictors of Failure Following Pancreaticoduodenectomy for Ampullary Carcinoma. Journal of American College of Surgeons. 2006; 202: 112-119.
- Shah SA, Greig PD, Gallinger S, Cattral MS, Dixon E, Kim RD, Taylor BR, Grant DR and Vollmer CM. Factors associated with early recurrence after resection for hepatocellular carcinoma and outcomes. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2006; 202: 275-283.
- Shah SA, Haddad R, Al Sukhni W, Kim RD, Greig PD, Grant DR, Taylor BR, Langer B, Gallinger S and Wei AC. Surgical resection of hepatic and pulmonary metastases from colorectal carcinoma. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 2006; 202: 468-475.
- Shah SA, Levy GA, Adcock LA, Gallagher G and Grant DR. Adult-to-Adult Living Donor Liver Transplantation. Canadian Journal of Gastroenterology. 2006; 20: 339-43.
- Shah SA, Tan JCC, McGilvray ID, Cleary SP, Cattral MS, Levy GA, Greig PD, Grant DR. Accuracy of staging as a predictor for recurrence after liver transplantation for HCC. Transplantation. 2006; 81: 1633-1639.
- Shah SA, Cattral MS, McGilvray ID, Adcock LD, Gallagher G, Smith R, Lilly LB, Girgrah N, Greig PD, Levy GA, Grant DR. Selective use of older adults in right-lobe living donor liver transplantation. American Journal of Transplantation. 2007; 7: 142-150.
- Shah SA, Grant DR, McGilvray ID, Greig PD, Selzner M, Lilly LB, Girgrah N, Levy GA, Cattral MS. Biliary strictures in 130 consecutive right lobe living donor liver transplant recipients: Results from a Western center. American Journal of Transplantation. 2007; 7: 161-167.
- Shah SA, Cleary SP, Wei AC, Yang I, Taylor BR, Hemming AW, Langer B, Grant DR, Greig PD, Gallinger S. Recurrence After Liver Resection for Hepatocellular Carcinoma: Risk Factors, Management and Outcomes. Surgery. 2007; 140: 330-339.
- Shah SA, Levy GA, Greig PD, Smith R, McGilvray ID, Lilly LB, Girgrah N, Cattral MS, Grant DR. Reduced mortality with right-lobe living donor compared to deceased donor liver transplantation when analyzed from the time of listing. American Journal of Transplantation. 2007; 7: 998-1002.
- Shah SA, Tan JCC, McGilvray ID, Cattral MS, Levy GA, Greig PD, Grant DR. Does microvascular invasion affect outcomes after liver transplantation for hepatocellular carcinoma? A histopathological analysis of 155 consecutive explants. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2007; 11: 464-471.
- Shah SA, Cleary SP, Yang I, Wei AC, Gallinger S, Grant DR, Greig PD. Prognosis and results after resection of large (>10cm) hepatocellular carcinoma. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery. 2007; 11: 589-595.
- Shah SA, Cleary SP, Wei AC, Tan JCC, McGilvray ID, Cattral MS, Gallinger S, Grant DR, Greig PD. What is the optimal therapy for early hepatocellular carcinoma? An intention-to-treat analysis of resection vs. transplantation. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2007; 14: 2608-14.
- Shah SA, Bromberg R, Coates A, Simunovic M, Gallinger S. Survival following liver resection for metastatic colorectal carcinoma in a large population. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. 2007; 205: 676-683.
- Csikesz NG, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Trends in Surgical Therapy for Acute Cholecystitis. Surgery. 2008; 144: 283-9.
- Toso C, Trotter JF, Wei AC, Bigam D, Shah SA, Lancaster J, Grant D, Greig PD, Shapiro J, Kneteman N. Total Tumor Volume predicts risk of recurrence following liver transplantation in patients with hepatocellular carcinoma. Liver Transplantation. 2008; 14: 1107-15.
- Ho KJ, Owens CD, Johnson SR, Khwaja K, Curry MP, Pavlakis M, Mandelbrot D, Pomposelli JJ, Shah SA, Saidi RF, Ko DSC, Malek S, Belcher J, Hull D, Tullius SG, Freeman RB, Pomfret EA, Whiting JF, Hanto DW, Karp SJ. Donor Post-Extubation Hypotension and Age Correlate with Outcome after Donation after Cardiac Death Liver and Kidney Transplantation. Transplantation. 2008; 85: 1588-94.
- Csikesz N, Ricciardi R, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Current Status of Laparoscopic vs. Open Cholecystectomy for Acute Cholecystitis in the United States. World Journal of Surgery. In Press.
- Csikesz NG, Simons JP, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Surgical Specialization and Operative Mortality in Hepato-Pancreatico-Biliary (HPB) Surgery. Journal of GastroIntestinal Surgery. In Press.
- Eppsteiner RW, Csikesz NG, Simons JP, Tseng JF, Shah SA. High Volume and Outcome After Liver Resection: Surgeon or Center? Journal of GastroIntestinal Surgery. In Press.
- Sneider E, Larkin A, St. Pierre J, Shah SA. Has the 80-hour workweek improved surgical education in New England? Journal of Surgical Education. In Press.
- Eppsteiner RW, Csikesz NG, McPhee JT, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Patient Demographics and Surgeon Volume in Pancreatic Resection Mortality. Annals of Surgery. Submitted.
- Csikesz NG, Nguyen LN, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Nationwide Volume and Mortality After Elective Surgery in Cirrhotic Patients. Journal of the American College of Surgeons. In Press.
- Kim RD, Grant DR, Greig PD, McGilvray ID, Shah SA, Adcock L, Lilly LB, Girgrah N, Levy GL, Cattral MS. Clinical Risk Factors for Acute Celllular Rejection in Adult Living Donor Liver Transplant Recipients. Liver Transplantation. In Press.
Back to Top