Jennifer F. Tseng, MD, MPH
Clinical Interests - Research - Publications- Awards and Honors
1. Education :
A.B., B.S.: Stanford University
Biological Sciences & English (Departmental Honors, with Distinction)
M.D. University of California – San Francisco Medical School
M.P.H. Harvard University School of Public Health
2. Post- Doctoral Training:
Internships and Residencies
Intern and Resident in Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital
Chief Resident in Surgery (invited staff position as the attending surgeon on the Ward Surgical Service), Massachusetts General Hospital
Molecular Medicine, Children's Hospital, Harvard Medical School
Surgical Oncology Fellowship, MD Anderson Cancer Center
3. Clinical Interests: pancreatic surgery and pancreatic cancer; periampullary cancer; gastric cancer; liver and biliary disease; pancreatitis; advanced gastrointestinal surgery; surgical oncology.
4. Research: Pancreatic cancer epidemiology, prediction modeling and decision analysis, and development of prospective tissue-linked databases to study survival and quality of life in gastrointestinal cancer patients. Surgical Outcomes Analysis & Research
1. Ryan IP, Tseng JF, Schriock ED, Khorram O, Landers DV, Taylor RN. Interleukin-8 concentrations are elevated in peritoneal fluid of women with endometriosis. Fertility and Sterility 1995;63:929-32.
2. Tseng JF, Ryan IP, Milam TD, Murai JT, Schriock ED, Landers DV, Taylor RN. Interleukin-6 secretion in vitro is up-regulated in ectopic and eutopic endometrial stromal cells from women with endometriosis. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 1996;81:1118-22.
3. Shifren JL, Tseng JF, Zaloudek CJ, Ryan IP, Meng YG, Ferrara N, Jaffe RB, Taylor RN. Ovarian steroid regulation of vascular endothelial growth factor in the human endometrium: implications for angiogenesis during the menstrual cycle and in the pathogenesis of endometriosis. Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism 1996;81:3112-8.
4. Tseng JF, Tanabe KK, Gadd MA, Cosimi AB, Malt RA, Haluska FG, Mihm MC, Sober AJ, Souba WW. Surgical management of primary cutaneous melanomas of the hands and feet. Annals of Surgery 1997;225:544-53.
5. Taylor RN, Ryan IP, Moore ES, Hornung D, Shifren JL, Tseng JF. Angiogenesis and macrophage activation in endometriosis. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences 1997;828:194-207.
6. Brandenberger AW, Lebovic DI, Tee MK, Ryan IP, Tseng JF, Jaffe RB, Taylor RN. Oestrogen receptor (ER)-alpha and ER-beta isoforms in normal endometrial and endometriosis-derived stromal cells. Molecular Human Reproduction 1999;5:651-5.
7. Tseng JF and Mulligan RC. Dendritic cells expressing K-ras inhibit murine pancreatic adenocarcinoma tumor growth in vivo. Surgical Forum 2001;LII:284-5.
8. Tseng JF, Farnebo FA, Kisker O, Becker CM, Kuo CJ, Folkman J, Mulligan RC. Adenovirus-mediated delivery of a soluble form of the VEGF receptor Flk1 delays the growth of murine and human pancreatic adenocarcinoma in mice. Surgery 2002;132: 857-65.
9. Tseng JF, Kronowitz SJ, Sun CC, Perry AC, Hunt KK, Babiera GV, Newman LA, Singletary SA, Mirza NQ, Ames VC, Meric-Bernstam F, Ross MI, Feig BW, Robb GL, Kuerer HM. An analysis of the effect of ethnicity on the rate of immediate reconstruction following mastectomy for breast cancer. Cancer 2004;101(7):1514-23.
10. Tseng JF, Raut CP, Lee JE, Pisters PWT, Vauthey J-N, Abdalla EK, Gomez HF, Sun CC, Crane CH, Wolff RA, Evans DB. Pancreaticoduodenectomy with vascular resection: margin status and survival duration. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery 2004: 8 (8):935-50.
11. Tseng JF, Willett CG, Fernández-del Castillo C, Ryan DP, Clark JW, Zhu AX, Rattner DW, Winkelmann JL, Warshaw AL. Immunocompetence in patients with pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Pancreatology 2005;5 (1): 67-74.
12. Yao JC, Tseng JF, Worah S, Schnirer II, Reddy S, Chiang S, Najam A, Yu C, Hess K, Giacco G, Xie K, Wu T, Crane CH, Feig BW, Pisters PWT, Mansfield PF, Ajani JA. Clinicopathologic behavior of gastric adenocarcinoma in Hispanic patients: analysis of a single institution's experience over 15 years. Journal of Clinical Oncology 2005;13 (1): 3094-3103.
13. Tseng JF, Warshaw AL, Sahani D, Lauwers GY, Rattner DW, Fernández-del Castillo C. Pancreatic serous cystadenoma: tumor growth rates and recommendations for treatment. Annals of Surgery 2005;242(3):413-9.
14. Tseng JF, Ballo MT, Zagars GK, Wayne JD, Cormier JN, Hunt KK, Feig BW, Lee JE, Lewis VO, Pisters PWT. Preoperative radiation therapy and plastic-reconstructive surgery effects on wound complications after resection of extremity soft tissue sarcomas. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2006; 13(9):1209-15..
15. Tseng JF, Pedersen LC, Abdalla EK, Solorzano CC, Ellis VG, Vauthey J-N, Curley, SA. Combined modality treatment at operation for hepatic metastases of neuroendocrine and carcinoid tumors. In preparation.
16. Raut CP, Tseng JF, Sun CC, Gomez HF, Cleary KR, Wang H, Wolff RA, Abbruzzese JL, Crane CH, Lee JE, Vauthey J-N, Abdalla EK, Pisters PWT, Evans DB. Impact of R status on pattern of failure and survival after pancreaticoduodenectomy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Annals of Surgery 2007 246(1):52-60.
17. Tseng JF, Lee JE, Pisters PWT, Sun CC, Gomez HF, Evans DB. The learning curve in pancreatic surgery. Surgery 2007;141:456-63.
18. Smith JK, McPhee JT, Hill JS, Whalen GF, Sullivan ME, Litwin DE, Anderson FA, Tseng JF. National outcomes after gastric resection for neoplasm. Archives of Surgery 2007;142:387-393.
19. McPhee JT, Hill JS, Whalen GF, Zayruzny M, Litwin DE, Sullivan ME, Anderson FA, Tseng JF. Perioperative mortality for pancreatectomy: a national perspective. Annals of Surgery 2007; 246(2):246-53
20. Al-Refaie WB, Tseng JF, Gay G, Patel-Parekh L, Mansfield PF, Pisters PWT, Yao JC, Feig BW. The impact of ethnicity on the presentation and prognosis in patients with gastric adenocarcinoma: results from the National Cancer Database. Cancer 2008 in press.
21. Hill JS, McPhee JT, McDade TP, Zheng FZ, Whalen GF, Tseng JF. Survival benefit of surgical resection in pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors: results from the SEER registry. In revision, Cancer.
22. Csikesz N, Ricciardi R, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Current Status of Laparoscopic vs. Open Cholecystectomy for Acute Cholecystitis in the United States. World Journal of Surgery 2008 in press.
23. Csikesz N, Simons JP, McDade TP, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Surgical specialization and operative mortality in hepato-pancreatico-biliary (HPB) surgery. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery 2008 in press.
24. Csikesz N, Ricciardi R, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Trends in the surgical management of acute cholecystitis. In press, Surgery.
25. Csikesz NG, Nguyen LN, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Nationwide volume and mortality after elective surgery in cirrhotic patients. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 2009 208(1):96-103.
26. Eppsteiner RW, Csikesz NG, Simons JP, Tseng JF, Shah SA. High volume and outcome after liver resection: surgeon or center? In press, Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery.
27. Cooley EK, McPhee JT, Simons JP, Sweeney WB, Maykel JA, Tseng JF, Alavi K. Screening colonoscopy before age 50?: Current Epidemiologic trends in the United States. In press, Diseases of the Colon and Rectum.
28. Eppsteiner RW, Csikesz NG, McPhee JT, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Patient Demographics and Surgeon Volume in Pancreatic Resection Mortality. In press, Annals of Surgery.
29. Murphy MM, Simons JP, McDade TP, Hill JS, McPhee JT, Tseng JF. Underutilization of surgical resection in minorities with pancreatic cancer in the United States. Cancer 2009 115(17):3979-90..
16. Simons JP, Ng SC, Hill JS, Shah SA, Bodnari A, Zhou Z, Tseng JF. In-hospital mortality for liver resection for metastases: a simple risk score. Journal of Surgical Research 2009;156(1) 21-5.
31. Hill JS, McPhee JT, Whalen GF, Sullivan ME, Warshaw AL, Tseng JF. In-hospital mortality after pancreatic resection for chronic pancreatitis: population-based estimates from the Nationwide Inpatient Sample. Journal of the American College of Surgeons 2009; 209(4) 468-76.
32. Murphy MM, Knaus WJ, Ng S, Hill JS, McPhee JT, Shah SA, Tseng JF. Total pancreatectomy: a national study. HPB 2009 11(6)476-482.
33. Singla A, Li Y, NG SC, Csikesz NG, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Is the growth in laparoscopic surgery reproducible with more complex procedures? Surgery 2009;146(2):367-74.
34. Singla A, Csikesz NG, Simons JP, Li YF, Ng SC, Tseng JF, Shah SA. National hospital volume in acute pancreatitis: analysis of the nationwide inpatient sample 1998-2006. HPB 2009; 11 (5): 391-7.
35. Simons JP, Shah SA, Ng S-C, Whalen GF, Tseng JF. National complication rates after pancreatectomy: beyond mere mortality. J Gastrointest Surg; 2009 Oct;13(10):1798-805.
36. Murphy MM, Shah SA, Simons JP, Csikesz NG, McDade TP, Bodnari A, Ng S, Zhou Z, Tseng JF. Predicting major complications after laparoscopic cholecystectomy: a simple risk score. J Gastrointest Surg; 2009 Nov:13(11):1929-1936.
37. Murphy MM, Simons JP,Ng S, McDade TP, Smith JK, Zhou Z, Earle C, Tseng JF. Racial differences in cancer specialist consultation, treatment, and outcomes for locoregional pancreatic adenocarcinoma. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2009 Nov; 16(11):2968-77.
38. Singla A, Simons JP, Carroll J, L YF, Ng SC, Tseng JF, Shah SH. Hospital volume as a surrogate for laparoscopic-assisted colectomy. Surgical Endoscopy 2010 Mar;24(3) 662-9.
39. Singla A, Simons JP, Li Y, Csikesz NG, Ng SC, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Admission volume determines outcome for patients with acute pancreatitis. Gastroenterology 2009 Dec;137(6):1995-2001.
40. Csikesz NG, Singla A, Simons JP, Tseng JF, Shah SA. The impact of socioeconomic status on presentation and treatment of diverticular disease. Journal of Gastrointestinal Surgery 2009 Nov;13(11):1195-2001.
41. Simons JP, Ng S, Shah SA, McDade TP, Whalen GF, Tseng JF. Malignant intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasm: Are we doing the right thing? Journal of Surgical Research 2009 June 21 (epub ahead of print).
42. Simons JP, Hill JS, Ng S, Shah SA, Zhou Z, Whalen GF, Tseng JF. Perioperative mortality for management of hepatic neoplasm: a simple risk score. Ann Surg 2009 Dec;250(6):929-34.
43. McDade TP, Hill JS, Simons JP, Piperdi B, Ng S, Kadish SP, Fitzgerald TJ, Tseng JF. The true effect of adjuvant radiotherapy on resected pancreatic adenocarcinoma: A national propensity-adjusted analysis. In press, Cancer.
44. Al-Refaie WB, Gay G, Virnig BA, Tseng JF, Stewart A, Vickers SM, Tuttle TM, Feig BW. Variations in gastric cancer care: a trend beyond racial disparities. Cancer 2010 Jan;116(2) 465-75.
45. Carroll J, Simons JP, Hurwitz Z, McPhee JT, Ng SC, Shah SA, Al-Refaie W, McDade TP, Tseng JF. In- hospital mortality after resection of biliary tract cancer in the United States. HPB 2010, 12, 62-67.
46. Hill JS, Zhou Z, Simons JP, Ng SC, Bodnari A, McDade TP, Whalen GF, Shah SA, Tseng JF. A simple risk score to predict in-hospital mortality after pancreatic resection for cancer. Annals of Surgical Oncology 2010 Feb 13 (epub ahead of print).
47. Simons JP, Ng SC, Hill JS, Shah SA, Bodnari A, Zhou Z, Tseng JF. In-hospital mortality for liver resection for hepatocellular carcinoma: a simple risk score. Cancer 2010 Feb 8;116(7):1733-1738.
48. Simons JP, Ng S, McDade TP, Zhou Z, Earle CC, Tseng JF. A population-based assessment of US practices: Progress for resectable pancreatic cancer? Cancer 2010 Feb 8;116(7):1681-1690.
49. Piperdi M, McDade TP, Shim JK, Piperdi B, Kadish SP, Sullivan ME, Whalen GF, Tseng JF. A neoadjuvant strategy for pancreatic adenocarcinoma increases likelihood of receiving all components of care: Lessons from a single-institution database. In press, HPB.
50. Csikesz NG, Singla A, Murphy M, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Surgeon volume metrics in laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Digestive Diseases and Sciences 2009 Nov 13 (epub ahead of print).
51. Zhou Z, McDade TP, Simons JP, Ng SC, Lambert LA, Whalen GF, Shah SA, Tseng JF. Surgery and radiation therapy for retroperitoneal and abdominal sarcoma: both necessary and sufficient? In press, Archives of Surgery.
52. Wiseman JT, Sharuk MN, Singla A, Cahan M, Litwin DE, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Surgical management of acute cholecystitis at a tertiary care center in the modern era. In press, Archives of Surgery.
53. Murphy MM, Witkowski ER, McDade TP, McPhee JT, Hill JS, Larkin AC, Quinlan RM, Whalen GF, Litwin DE, Tseng JF. Trends in adrenalectomy: a national survey. Surgical Endoscopy 2010 Mar 25 (epub ahead of print).
55. Murphy MM, Ng SC, Simons JP, Csikesz NG, Shah SA, Tseng JF. Predictors of major complications following laparoscopic cholecystectomy: surgeon, hospital, or patient? In press, Journal of the American College of Surgeons.
56. Smith JK, Ng SC, Hill JS, Simons JP, Arous EJ, Shah SA, Tseng JF, McDade TP. Complications after pancreatectomy for neuroendocrine tumors: A national study. In press, Journal of Surgical Research.
1. Tseng JF, Cambria RP, Aretz HT, and Brewster DC. Cogan’s disease in thoracoabdominal aortic aneurysms. Journal of Vascular Surgery 1999;30:565-8.
2. Fry SJ, Picard MH, Tseng JF, Briggs SM, Isselbacher EM. The echocardiographic diagnosis, characterization, and extraction guidance of cardiac foreign bodies. Journal of the American Society of Echocardiography 2000;13:232-9.
Reviews, Chapters, and Editorials
1. Taylor RN, Ryan IP, Tseng JF, Shifren JL, Hornung D, Lebovic DI. Ovarian steroids and angiogenesis. In: Lemay A and Maheux R, eds. Understanding Endometriosis: Advances in Research and Practice. Carnforth: Parthenon, 1999.
2. Gadd MA, Tseng JF, Tanabe KK. Lymphatic mapping and sentinel lymph node biopsy. In: Sober AJ and Haluska FG, eds. Skin Cancer, American Cancer Society Atlas of Clinical Oncology. Ontario: BC Decker Inc, 2001.
3. Tseng JF and Rattner DW. Large bowel disease: the surgeon’s perspective. In: Compton CC and Pascal R, eds. The Pathology of the Alimentary Tract. Philadelphia: Saunders, in press.
4. Tseng JF and Mulligan RC. Gene therapy for pancreatic cancer. Surgical Oncology Clinics of North America 2002;11:537-69.
5. Pawlik TM, Tseng JF, Vauthey J-N. Controversies in the Staging of Hepatocellular Carcinoma. Cancer Reviews: Asia-Pacific 2003, 1(2): 179-89.
6. Tseng JF, Fernández-del Castillo C, Warshaw AL. The cystic tumors of the pancreas. In: Blumgart LH, ed. Surgery of the Liver, Biliary Tract and Pancreas. Philadelphia: Elsevier Inc, in press.
7. Tseng JF, Fernández-del Castillo C, Warshaw AL. Survival after medical and surgical treatment of pancreatic adenocarcinoma. In: Beger HG, Matsuno S, Cameron JL, eds. Diseases of the Pancreas: Current Surgical Therapy. Heidelberg: Springer Inc., in press.
8. Tseng JF, Lee JE, Pisters PWT, Evans DB. Venous resection in pancreatic cancer surgery. In: Tytgat GNJ, ed. Best Practice and Research: Clinical Gastroenterology 2006 Apr;20(2):349-64..
9. Al-Refaie WB, Choi EA, Tseng JF, Tamm EP, Lee JH, Lee JE, Evans DB, Pisters PW. Intraductal papillary mucinous neoplasms of the pancreas. Med Princ Pract. 2006;15(4):245-52.
10. Hill JS, Shankar S, Evans DB, Tseng JF. Control of bleeding from the portal/superior mesenteric vein. In: Nauta RJ, ed. Operative Techniques in General Surgery, in press 2008.
11. Murphy MM, Tseng JF, Shah SA. Disparities in cancer care: an operative perspective. Surgery 2009 Dec 2 (epub ahead of print).
Back To Top
6. Awards and Honors
- 1989 Robert M. Golden Major Grant for Humanities and the Creative Arts, Stanford University
- 1990 Irvine Foundation Grant for Multicultural Education, Stanford University
- 1991 UCSF Research Fellowship, University of California – San Francisco
- 1993 Howard Hughes Medical Institute Research Fellowship
- 1995 Dean’s Prize in Research, University of California – San Francisco
- 1995 Nusz-Galante Award in Surgery, University of California – San Francisco
- 1998 Linton Fellowship in Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital
- 2000 American College of Surgeons Resident Research Fellowship
- 2003 Nominee, Harvard Medical School Prize for Excellence in Teaching (Years 3 and 4)
- 2003 MD Anderson McCarthy Fellowship in Experimental Surgery
- 2004 American Society of Clinical Oncology Merit Award, ASCO GI Symposium
- 2004 SSAT Residents and Fellows Award
- 2004 American Society of Clinical Oncology Foundation Merit Award
- 2004 Berlex Clinical Oncology Award in Patient-Oriented Research, 2nd Place
- 2005 Pancreatic Cancer Alliance Scholar
- 2006 American Society of Clinical Oncology Young Investigator Award
- 2006 Howard Hughes Medical Institute Early Career Award
- 2007 American Surgical Association Foundation Fellowship
- 2008 Association of American Medical Colleges Herbert W. Nickens Faculty Fellowship Award, Nominee
- 2009 University of Massachusetts Center for Clinical and Translational Sciences Pilot Project Program, Awardee
Back to Top