||General Surgery (Subinternship)
Mitchell Cahan, M.D. (University Campus)
John Kelly, M.D. (Memorial Campus)
Contact: Christine Vigeant Christine.Vigeant@umassmed.edu
UMMHC-University & Memorial Campus
- General Surgery Sub internship University (ACS)
- General Surgery Sub internship University (Haidak)
- General Surgery Sub internship Memorial (MIS)
|Number of Students / Month:
||4th year medical student
Elective Description: After the completion of this 4 week elective the student will:
- Gain understanding of surgical disease that impacts a variety of organ systems including gastrointestinal, soft tissue, endocrine, etc. The focus of the elective will be dependent on site: Memorial Campus will focus on minimally invasive, general, and bariatric surgery; University Campus will focus on minimally invasive, general, and head and neck surgery.
- Learn the important aspects of the medical history and proper physical examination including the abdominal exam as it pertains to acute illness within the peritoneal cavity.
- Learn diagnostic algorithms, which diagnostic tools to employ, and their indications and contraindications. Specific tests include ultrasound, CT scan, endoscopy, MRI, diagnostic laparoscopy and/or therapeutic laparotomy.
- Students will be directly involved with the operative management and post-operative care of those conditions so treated.
Location: UMMHC-University & Memorial Campus