|Course Name:||Child Protection Program|
|Coordinator(s):||Tiffany Nemetz firstname.lastname@example.org |
Gretchen Jones email@example.com
|Sites Available:||UMMHC-University Campus|
|Months Offered:||July - May |
|Number of Students / Month:||1 |
|Prerequisites:||Completion of 3rd year Pediatric clerkship |
|Elective Description: This elective will provide an opportunity for students to participate in medical evaluations for suspected abuse and neglect. This experience will allow the students to:|
1) Acquire skills to obtain a detailed history in a non-judgmental manner.
2) Learn how to distinguish developmentally reasonable accidental injuries from inflicted injuries.
3)Learn how to do a detailed genital examination in children & adolescents who are suspected
victims of sexual abuse.
4) Complete self-instruction slide set regarding physical and sexual abuse findings.
5) Learn how to interact with multiple disciplines within the community.
6) Learn how to file a report for possible child maltreatment with the Department of Social Services.
7) When possible observe court testimony.
Note: This elective is primarily observational for students given the highly sensitive nature of the information collected in the histories and legal ramifications of the examinations. This elective's grading basis is CR/NCR.
|Location: UMMHC-University Campus, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655|
|Website: http://www.umassmed.edu/pediatrics/ |