|Course Name:||Adolescent Medicine|
Contact: Maxine Schmeidler Maxine.Schmeidler@umassmed.edu
|Sites Available:||UMMHC-University Campus|
|Months Offered:||* Varies dependent on resident schedules|
|Number of Students / Month:||1 maximum|
|Prerequisites:||4th year students only; Completion of 3rd yr. Pediatrics Clerkship|
- To familiarize the medical student with normal and abnormal growth and development in adolescents
- To understand the psycho/social and developmental tasks of adolescents
- To develop communication skills for interviewing adolescents
- To understand the commonly seen illnesses in the adolescent age group
- To participate in gathering information about sensitive topics such as substance and alcohol use, sexuality, and family issues
- To practice performance of the pelvic exam in the adolescent.
- To understand appropriate anticipatory guidance for parents and teenagers in regard to issues such as driving, alcohol and parties, etc.
- To learn about various models of adolescent health care in the community
|Location: UMMHC-University Campus, 55 Lake Avenue North, Worcester, MA 01655 www.mapquest.com |
|Website: Department of Pediatrics http://www.umassmed.edu/pediatrics/ |