Advanced Studies Electives: International Students
The University of Massachusetts Medical School (UMMS) welcomes students who are in good academic standing and are in their final clinical year of medical school education to participate in our International Visiting Student Elective program. We offer a variety of electives at UMMS teaching sites. Electives for visiting students are available on a competitive basis from September to April of each academic year.
- Students must be in their final clinical year of medical school.
- Students must meet all the elective prerequisites.
- Students must be fluent in English. (See TOFEL requirement below). All application materials must be submitted in English.
- International students are eligible to participate in type B and C electives only. See the online published list of electives (left menu column) for details. Elective availability is subject to change without notice.
- There is a $500 administrative payment for each elective and a non-refundable $50 application fee for each elective. UMMS will credit $50.00 towards each accepted elective.
- Malpractice/Liability Insurance minimums are $1 million per occurrence/ $3 million aggregate.
UMMS accepts applications for electives twice per calendar year. The deadline to be eligible for an elective offered in the Fall semester (September, October, November, and December) is April 1. The deadline to be eligible for an elective offered in the Spring semester (January, February, March, and April) is August 1.
| Fall Semester (Sept, Oct, Nov, Dec)|| AY 14-15|
| Application Deadline || April 1|
| Final Decision post-marked by|| June 1|
| Spring Semester (Jan, Feb, March, April)|| AY 14-15|
| Application Deadline|| August 1|
| Final Decision post-marked by|| October 1|
Applicants considered for an elective will be notified by Office of Student Affairs (OSA) prior to June 1st for the Fall semester and October 1st for Spring semester. Applications received after the published deadlines will not be eligible for an elective
Complete the entire International Students Application packet which includes, the application form, the UMass immunization forms, medical records, One letter of good standing from the Dean (designee) or Registrar of your institution; One letter of recommendation and proof of health and liability insurance—please see the “International Student Elective Guidelines
” for a complete list of requirements.
Mail the completed application and $50 non-refundable application fee to UMMS. Your application will not be processed if it is missing any item.
You will be notified after June 1st (fall semester) and October 1st (spring semester) if your application for an elective will be considered for an elective.